IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Am. blooming
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2002.05.12 at 03:31:41(8754)
no odor over here but Amorph. sumawongii that his lordness p. sent me bloomed instead of putting out a leaf... (thanks, lord p.). on another note, the Am. bulbifer seeds i planted sprouted and the leaf is surprisingly big. these plants are amazing, aren't they?

tsuh yang in NY

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2002.05.12 at 16:36:54(8756)
Another guy who needs a serious nose
job.............

Lord

+More
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2002.05.13 at 15:45:49(8760)
In a message dated 5/12/2002 12:38:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hetter@worldonline.nl writes:

Another guy who needs a serious nose job.............
Lord P.

+More
From: StroWi at t-online.de (StroWi) on 2002.05.13 at 20:52:37(8763)
schrieb:

> In a message dated 5/12/2002 12:38:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

> hetter@worldonline.nl writes:

>

> > Another guy who needs a serious nose job.............

> > Lord P.

>

> no, really. there's no odor at all. it's also a tiny little thing so maybe

> it needs to grow bigger first...

>

> tsuh yang in NY

Dear tsuh yang,

same thing over here in Germany; small flower, no odor.

I guess Lord P. has some kind of hypersinsitivity to Amorph smells; some kind of special receptors binding a single molecule and creating an enthuthiastic storm between his his neurons.....

Orinary people like us just have to freeze in admiration.... :o

Bernhard.

+More
From: StroWi at t-online.de (StroWi) on 2002.05.14 at 18:41:07(8773)
Dear Lord P. and tsuh yang,

I have to correct my last comments.

Last night I had to keep my "wintergarten"-windows closed due to low temperatures and this morning I was irritated by a strange sweetand damp odor, when I entered the wintergarten. First I thought that it came from an insectizide I sprayed some days ago, but that smell is different. So it have been must been the tiny sumawongii that filled the room with it's scent - remarkable for such a small flower.

However, sniffing directly at the flower, I still do not notice that scent stronger.

So the Lord is probably right and tsuh yang has to put his sumawongii in a closed room.

Cheers,

Bernhard.

+More
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter at worldonline.nl> on 2002.05.14 at 20:54:12(8779)
You
know guys, you ain't gonna win this one. I have an active research programme
with somebody at Kew who analyses the scent of Amorphs. If there is no scent on
A. sumawongii, how come we have a perfect gaschromatographic graph for it,
complete with oligomethyl-oligosulphides, that provide for the horrendous stench
(comparable e.g. to bulbifer and muelleri) and a touch of anise scent (which I
noticed) and turned up in the graphs as a small peak of 4-methoxyphenethylalcohol, other wise known as "anise oil".

Try to

+More
From: StroWi at t-online.de (StroWi) on 2002.05.16 at 21:30:47(8813)
Correction of the correction:

I think Tsuh Yang can rely on his nose (and maybe Lord P. needs the nose job or at least a desensitization (let alone his nice HPLC-peaks....)).

The putative sumawongii smell in my "wintergarten" was just a bucket of water with rotting alga under a shelf. (Embarrassing, but true; I only admid it for vindication of T.Y.)

Greetings,

Bernhard.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.