IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroid starches
From: "Barton, Dr H.J." hjb15 at leicester.ac.uk> on 2002.05.29 at 15:49:09(8925)
Dear Aroid lovers,
I am an archaeologist working in the UK at the University of Leicester. I am researching the use of aroids and other tuberous species in Sarawak, Malaysia. The deposits I am looking at range from 50,000 years old through to the last 2,000 years and many of them contain preserved starch grains. I have been building a reference collection of material here at the University but am still lacking some important aroids and other species. Can anyone help me? I have provided a list of some of the plants of interest. All I require is a small section of the tuber or rhizome. e.g. a piece of tissue about 3cm by 2cm is all that I need to extract starches and keep in alcohol as reference material.
>From the reference material I can compare the starches with those fround in the archaeological deposits and, potentially, identify the family or even species of plant used in prehistory.
Cheers,
Huw

ARACEAE
Schismatoglottis calyptrata
Cyrtosperma merkusii

TACCACEAE
Tacca leontopetaloides

ZINGIBERACEAE
Curcuma xanthorrhiza
Curcuma zeodara

CYPERACEAE
Cyperus esculentus
Cyperus rotundus
Eleocharis dulcis

EUPHORBIACEAE
Manihot esculenta

MARANTACEAE
Maranta arundinacea

Dr Huw J Barton
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Archaeology and Ancient History
University of Leicester

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.