IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dracontium dilemma
From: Durightmm at aol.com on 2002.06.25 at 22:36:47(8998)
I am comfortable with the identification of my D. gigas but not with its' development. While aware of the natural degrees of variability among a species I cannot accont for its' erractic flowering. Despite its age and robust growth- pedicle 8' tall- its' flower has never opened as in pictures I have seen. I pine for seeing the lovely crimson color of the spathe underside. Have opthers experienced this? Is this natural or is perhaps this another species? Comments? Joe

From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2002.06.25 at 23:52:06(9005)
Dear Joe,

Send me a pic. and I may be able
to solve your dellima! 8' is NOT tall for a D. gigas, you may have
another species!!

Best Wishes,

Julius

+More
From: "Michael Pascall" mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2002.06.26 at 15:31:48(9009)
Joe , I think the photo showing the colourful spathe interior may be due to
a filter or trick photography .
I have had several flowers here and seen one in Mt.Cootha
Botanical Garden in Brisbane , Queensland and none have been as bright .

Michael Pascall,
WHYANBEEL ARBORETUM,F.N.Q,AUSTRALIA

+More
From: Durightmm at aol.com on 2002.06.26 at 19:44:30(9016)
Interesting Michael, however the most recent and vivid picture was from an "Oz" Queenslander whose red was most vivid and unaltered. Another oddity for mine is that it never opens fully. I have been advised that it opens for a brief perriod during early morning hours. Regular monitoring has never "caught" it open. Will honore Julius' offer when it next flowers. Perhaps by then it can be posted at L. Kallus's site for others to see. J

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.