IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

TitanWatch 4/22/03 !!!!! a BLOOM is on it's way
From: "Craig Allen" callen at fairchildgarden.org> on 2003.04.23 at 13:40:26(10114)
TitanWatch 4/22/03 !!!!! a BLOOM is on it's way

Here is my update and it's cooool... I was WRONG, and I'm glad to admit it. After all my bragging, I DO NOT have four Amorphophallus gigas coming into bloom and one Amorphophallus titanum possibly about to bloom...

I have only three A. gigas blooming. After the outer sheath loosened up, the fourth chubby inflorescence turned out to be a TITAN LILY, Amorphophallus titanum, and I can see the spadix. The new Titan coming into bloom was from a pot that had lost it's label. All this time I was wondering why, since I thought it was a Devil's Tongue, A. gigas, it wasn't developing the tall peduncle (inflorescence stem) that is characteristic of that species. Needless to say I am so thrilled! We had decided some time ago that the next Amorphophallus titanum tuber to bloom at Fairchild Tropical Garden would be named 'Audrey III'.

'Mr. Stinky' the Titan I have been watching so closely still hasn't tipped it's hand. I still can't tell if it's going to bloom. If it does, you know what that means... do ya, do ya? If I play my cards right or should I say my brush, I should be able to pollinate the second flower and get hundreds if not thousands of seeds. I can just imagine bringing a thousand new Baby Stinkers into the world. WOW! Hold your nose. Well, anyway, I can hope can't I.

Today's Titan facts:

Audrey III - 33" tall with sheath beginning to open (43 pound tuber) definitely blooming!

Mr. Stinky - 24" and I don't know... (76 pound tuber)

Craig M. Allen

+More
From: "Cooper, Susan L." SLCooper at scj.com> on 2003.04.23 at 15:51:25(10115)
Congratulations, Craig!!
How exciting! Will we be seeing pictures or a web cam this time??
Hoping,
Susan

+More
From: "Craig Allen" callen at fairchildgarden.org> on 2003.04.23 at 18:44:48(10116)
Hopefully both. They are working on the website now, and we are looking for funding for the web-cam.

Craig M. Allen

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.