IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Refrigeration of aroid pollen.
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2003.06.12 at 09:17:49(10338)
DEar Friends,

I was wondering what information may be out there on the storage of aroid pollen by refrigeration and/or freezing, and the length of time it may remain viable??? Does anyone on these lists have information or literature on this??
There are a couple rare species 'out there' that I am keeping tabs on, and if it were possible to refrigerate or to freeze pollen and then use it at a later date to pollinate a bloom on another plant of the same species even in another state or country, this would be a great thing! This was brought to mind by the recent spate of bloomings of the Amorphophallus titanums, most of which probably were grown from seed collected by the late Dr. James Symon.

Good Growing,

Julius Boos

+More
From: Marc Gibernau gibernau at cict.fr> on 2003.06.13 at 07:47:17(10339)
Dear Julius,

I've prepared with Anita Diaz a manuscript for our favourite journal on
this subject on two Arum species. But It will take some times before we'll
receive the next Aroideana issue.

In Arum, to store pollen in refrigerators (8 or 15?C) prolong pollen
viability up to 4-5 days. May be at cooler temperatures (3-5?C) the pollen
viability will last longer. I think that water freezing will be a
(non-return) limit.

+More
From: "Denis Rotolante" denisskg at bellsouth.net> on 2003.06.13 at 13:23:07(10342)
You might check with Dr. Jake Henny at the Apopka research
station....he's certainly done enough Aroid hybridizing in his time...

Denis

+More
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2003.06.16 at 00:14:00(10343)
Dear Marc,

Thanks to you, Denis and the others who replied. I am looking for some specific methods, temps., etc. with which I may be able to store aroid pollen for a little more than a year.
If anyone has more information, please pass it along!

Good growing,

Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.