IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

aroid fruit
From: piaba piabinha at yahoo.com> on 2003.07.25 at 01:56:37(10435)
> As I mentioned in a previous post to Petra, to me
> there is no surprise that a native American
> fruit-eating bird would take advantage of the
> availability and eat some attractivly colored and
> tasty fruit!

+More
From: "Peter C Boyce" levieux.jardin at wanadoo.fr> on 2003.07.25 at 06:55:28(10436)
Hi Tsuh Yang

Many aroid fruits/seeds are edible and some are even used as semi-regular
food:

+More
From: MossyTrail at cs.com on 2003.07.26 at 00:48:04(10438)
"Peter C Boyce" wrote:

>On the last point, very frequently the ripe fruits are 'protected' by
>various irritant crystals and/or chemicals and in Europe red and
>orange-berried Arum and Dracunculus are both irritant and poisonous with
>there being several deaths recorded resulting from children ingesting Arum
>maculatum and A. italicum berries. So, remember that attractive colour,
>smell & taste doesn't always man that the fruit are safe to ingest - I'd
>recommend that you proceed carefully!
>
Do those Arum spp. have attractive tate, or only smell and colour? Small children (how small were they?) are known to ingest things experimentally, rather than because they taste good.

On a similar note, birds' digestion is very different from ours, and it may be that certain fruits are designed to attract birds, while at the same time protect against mammals. The "hot" flavor of chile peppers is an example of this -- birds can eat chiles without the irritation experienced by mammals, because their mouths are drier. Small fruits like berries are more likely to be bird-dispered, while larger fruits like apples and oranges are more likely to be mammal-dispersed.

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: "Peter C Boyce" levieux.jardin at wanadoo.fr> on 2003.07.26 at 06:27:04(10441)
Arum fruits have a sweet, slightly astringent flavour that sonn gives way to
intense burning of the soft parts of the mouth and the throat.

I don't have precise details of the gaes of the children reported to have
died after ingensting Arum fruits, although for those I have such data ages
ranged from 3 to 9 years.

Pete

+More
From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo at msn.com> on 2003.07.27 at 14:50:09(10442)
Dear Friends,

To the list of 'edible' aroid fruits, add Taccarum, Synandrospadix and Dracontium soconuscum (all S. American, all sweet and pleasant tasting, though not much 'size/volume' to them), and of all things Dieffenbachia sp., as Dr. Croat has reported that the fruits of this, perhaps THE most 'dangerous' aroid (I have a fatality recorded), are also sweet and pleasant tasting!
We sampled the ripe fruit on Philodendron soli. in Fr. Guyana, they too were very sweet-tasting and pleasant.
I do NOT recommend that ANYONE experiment of tasting aroid fruit! NOT a safe hobby!!!! Recently I was demonstrating the wonderful taste of my ripe Monstera fruit in my front yard to my Guatemalan friend, he must have bitten a TINY bit of the covering caps, and he was in pain!
I don`t know if Peter mentioned it, but the fruit/seeds of the S. American giant aquatic aroid Montrichardia are reportedly roasted and eaten by natives per Deni Bown in her WONDERFUL book on Aroids.
Jason, an interesting note on a birds ability to consume hot chile peppers, as a boy our parrot LOVED to eat the hottest peppers, our scotch bonnets, but afterward would demonstrate one of the commoner symptoms of the eating of these hot fruit, which as boys we often demonstrated after eating slices of green mangos dipped in chile-laden salt, he/she would 'pant', holding his beak/mouth open, tongue thrust outward and 'kicking', for a long period after eating. I believe that the 'heat' of these fruit affected him! The smaller 'bird peppers' were eagerly consumed off the bush by palm tanagers and the giant crested fly-catchers, but were swallowed whole due to their smaller size.

Good Growing,

Julius Boos

+More
From: "Peter C Boyce" levieux.jardin at wanadoo.fr> on 2003.07.27 at 18:23:10(10443)
Hi Julius

Thanks for reminding me about Montrichardia seeds. I'd forgotten that Deni's
fantastic book mentions them among many other edible aroids - if folks want
to know about edibility in 'our' family, then PLEASE check out both editions
Deni's book, they're a treasure trove - I ate them (Montrichardia seed, not
Deni's books) while in a small village upstream from Manaus and can report
that they are good, with a rich buttery texture similar to fresh Brazil nut
(not months old packaged ones in supermarkets) or Macadamia (ditto).

Let me also echo Julius' caveat about not trying aroid fruits (or any others
for that matter) unless you ABSOLUTELY know they're safe.

Pete

+More
From: "Dany Hervelle" bs246466 at skynet.be> on 2003.07.28 at 04:32:03(10444)
I have heard that many of anthurium fruits are edible.What about it?Is for
instance the fruits of a scandens and bakerii edible?
Regards to all
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.