IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

P. rubrinervum growth habit
From: "Leslie R." leslier55 at excite.com> on 2003.09.05 at 15:58:45(10549)
I have raised many P. rubrinervum from seed this year, along with P. saxicolum, P. eximium, P. 'Evansii' and P. ornatum. The P. rubrinervum seedlings are now about 6-weeks old. They look to have a climbing habit, but I have been unable to find any information regarding this Philo species. Are they known by another botanical name?Leslie RuleLeslieR55@excite.com

+More
From: Neil Crafter golfstra at senet.com.au> on 2003.09.19 at 05:17:31(10602)
Hi Leslie
I have checked all my literature and can find no reference at all to P.
rubronervum or rubronervium. Could be there is another name for them
but I don't know what it is. Do you have any spare seed of P.saxicolum?
This is one that I have never ben able to find.
cheers
Neil Crafter
+More
From: "Leslie R." leslier55 at excite.com> on 2003.09.19 at 13:20:05(10604)
I haven't found any other name this plant goes by. The P. rubrinervum seedlings are in 4-inch pots now and growing quickly. I'm anxious to see some mature leaves, then perhaps they can be identified under another name. In general, the juvenile leaves are broad heart-shaped and fairly deeply-veined. They are quick to grow out ariel roots. Their growth habit is very similar to saxicolum, though the rubrinervum is a larger, sturdier plant overall. I don't have any more saxicolum seeds, but I will have a few plants which I started from seed this spring which will need homes sometime this fall probably, if I think they are suitable in size to ship before winter. Of course, you being in Australia, this doesn't help. Leslie RuleMissouri

+More
From: Neil Crafter golfstra at senet.com.au> on 2003.09.23 at 00:16:29(10616)
Leslie
true p.saxicolum is a member of the same subgroup as P.bipinnatifdum,
subgroup "Meconostigma", in other words it is 'self-header", or tree
type philodendron. I'd be interested to see whether your seedlings are
exhibiting this growth habit. If not, they are unlikely to be true
P.saxicolum.
Live plant shipments to Australia are prohibited unless you have an
import permit and access to a quarantine registered glasshouse. Easier
to import seeds.
cheers
Neil Crafter
+More
From: "Leslie R." leslier55 at excite.com> on 2003.09.23 at 13:07:01(10618)
The P. saxicolum seedlings are now almost nine weeks old and they are not climbers. Since I was not sure of their growth habit, I gave a few the opportunity to climb, but they don't. They are obviously a terrestrial Philo, as are the P. rubrinervums. I have grown P. bippinatifidum from seed previously, and these plants do show a similar growth habit, but, in my experience, they grow much faster. The P. rubrinervum in particular is a large, aggressive grower.It is a shame that it is so difficult and expensive to ship live plants to other countries. Leslie RuleColumbia, MO USA

+More
From: "Leslie R." leslier55 at excite.com> on 2003.09.23 at 13:32:56(10619)
An additional note of interest, the P. rubrinervum and P. saxicolum don't send out ariel roots, as I thought they were at first, but they are two or three large roots which sturdy the plant. The stabilizing roots grow on P. bipinnatifidum also, but these seedlings put out the roots at a younger age than any of my P. bippinatifidum did. P. 'Evansii' has a very similar growth habit, and is also a large, terrestrial Philo. All these seedlings are finally getting large enough that I can see differences in leaf shape. Very fascinating to watch them grow. Leslie RuleColumbia, MO USA

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.