IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arum cyrenaicum
From: Paul Christian <paul at rareplants.co.uk> on 1997.06.23 at 12:58:59(889)
Dear All,

I was cleaned out of the last seed this morning, sorry, all gone down to the
last few defunct berries that turned out to be seedless. 12 of you got em,
two were just too late.

All best wishes,
Paul :-))

+More
From: Don Martinson <llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2013.11.11 at 15:40:01(22934)
Last summer, I received some seed of Arum cyrenaicum. I planted the seeds in an open, free draining medium and left them pretty much alone until this fall, when moving plants inside for the winter (we get down to –10F, -23C), I observed one seed germinating (see attachment). Obviously, it wouldn’t survive outdoors, as its temperature requirements suggested as USDA Zone 9 and above.

Any suggestions as to the best way to keep this through the winter? I can keep it in my glasshouse (bright light, for my latitude and relatively cool) or inside in a south window, bright but warmer.

Thanks,

-- Don Martinson

HTML

+More

From: "D. Christopher Rogers" <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2013.11.11 at 17:12:20(22935)
Hiyer, Don!

What you suggest should work. Keep it cool to warm in your glass house. It should do fine. I grow this species along with A. italicum, A. hygrophilum, A. dioscoridis, and A. sintenesi outdoors year 'round here in Kansas ( I live between Lawrence, Oskaloosa and Tonganoxie). I just keep it under lots of mulch during the winter and it comes up fine in spring.

Good luck!

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2013.11.11 at 17:58:29(22936)
Hi Don,

That should work. They will take freezing weather and show no effect down to the mid twenties, but below that I have doubts.

Last year I had some Arum pictum seedlings (Majorica form) and it was suggested that if I brought them inside with a maximum high temperature of 70 - 75 degrees F., they would get a full year's growth. Sure enough they did, I have planted them in my Arum garden, and they are now starting to put out nearly mature leaves.

This is my first year for growing many of these Arum and A. hygrophyllum has come up in abundance near the front of the garden, where it gets the most rain.
However, I am told that this particular Arum is a little more fragile than most and will show damage from a hard freeze. We are expecting our first freeze Wednesday night, although I doubt that it will get much below 30 degrees F. in my garden. In December, however, we usually experience a period of lows in the 20's (last year, 22 degrees F.).

I am interested in the experiences of others, particularly with hygrophyllum and, maybe, rupicola.

Another species with which I had some problem due to the cold last year was A. byzantinum. I planted it in the garen (instead of a container) and noticed it is now up bigger than last year. Does anyone have experience with this species visa vie freezing weather?

David Leedy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.