IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorph. titanum hardiness
From: Floral Architecture <floralartistry2000 at yahoo.com> on 2004.11.17 at 18:06:24(12389)
I have a couple seedlings of titanum (I might be selling one of them) and they are now going dormant. Since I am in coastal So. CA, can they stay outside dry or should I bring them in for the winter? The tubers are not quite the size of a ping pong ball but the stems are 12"+ tall.
Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
+More
From: Bryan Lampl <blampl1 at earthlink.net> on 2004.11.18 at 20:58:02(12394)
I am in Orange County and am also growing A. titanum seedlings. Mine are
presently living in a greenhouse so they are quite content. I would suggest
bringing them inside if you have a place with bright light and the
temperature is warm. I think it is too cool during our winter for
Amorphophallus and it would probably cause plants to go dormant and even
create the potential for rotting problems with the tubers.

+More
From: "Alistair Hay" <ajmhay at hotmail.com> on 2004.11.21 at 23:52:16(12401)
If its any help, they do not survive outside here in Sydney (min winter temp 41degF) and the plants do not have an annual cycle of growth and dormancy, rather the cycle is well over a year and so the plants are seldom in sync with the natural seasons (or with each other for that matter).
With numerous (but by no means all - a lot can be grown successfully) tropical plants outdoors in the Sydney climate, we find they survive winter and then expire in spring when conditions warm up. (Presumably when pathogen activity resumes but the plants are still suffering the after-effects of winter cold stress and have little resistance).
Alistair
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.