IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arum lily (reed) frog LINDA
From: Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2005.04.03 at 10:28:01(12818)
--- LMassey628@aol.com wrote:
Speaking of Zantedeschia aethiopica - is there any
trick to getting one to bloom ? I have had mine for
years now, the plant is beautiful and healthy. It
is grown in a large pot that I have sitting in a bird
bath for constant moisture. It gets filtered sun.
what can i do to get flowers ?
Thank you. Linda

+More
From: LMassey628 at aol.com on 2005.04.03 at 15:59:31(12821)
In a message dated 4/3/2005 11:51:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, kylefletcherbaker@yahoo.com writes:
Linda you have been giving it a rest period right?like for a month or two? at least thats how i get mineto bloom i let the frost kill the foliage then bringthem inside and regrow them starting in Dec. and theyflower well for mekfb
No, I haven't been doing that. Should I let the pot dry completely and let the tops die back ? I live in Florida and we don't have any frost most years. Is cold a definite requirement or just a dry spell ?

Linda

+More
From: Emily Rasmussen emily.rasmussen at gmail.com> on 2005.04.03 at 22:06:47(12823)
Linda,

How much light do your plants get each day? How is the soil quality?
I have 3 separate planting of Zantedeschia aethiopica and the
shadiest bed produces wonderful foliage, but no blooms. The other two
planting get more sunlight and are currently blooming. Do you
fertilize them? I fed mine a nicely balance fertilizer (I used
16-16-16 granules for use in cool weather) a few weeks ago and they
seemed to perk right up. Also trimming off any damaged foliage from
slug, frost, or insects help to initiate new growth.

--Emily

+More
From: LMassey628 at aol.com on 2005.04.04 at 01:50:22(12824)
In a message dated 4/3/2005 8:44:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, emily.rasmussen@gmail.com writes:
Linda,How much light do your plants get each day? How is the soil quality? I have 3 separate planting of Zantedeschia aethiopica and theshadiest bed produces wonderful foliage, but no blooms. The other twoplanting get more sunlight and are currently blooming. Do youfertilize them? I fed mine a nicely balance fertilizer (I used16-16-16 granules for use in cool weather) a few weeks ago and theyseemed to perk right up. Also trimming off any damaged foliage fromslug, frost, or insects help to initiate new growth.--Emily
Morning sun, then filtered, since its under an oak tree. I haven't fed it too much since it is growing so well and filling the pot. I just transplanted it to a 12" pot with ProMix BX. I use a time release fertilizer with occasional liquid feedings. But maybe the problem is that we just don't get cold enough in Florida.

Linda

+More
From: Emily Rasmussen emily.rasmussen at gmail.com> on 2005.04.06 at 02:19:28(12836)
I was chatting with someone who also lives in Florida and she said
that she keeps hers constantly wet. How much water do you give yours?

--Emily

+More
From: LMassey628 at aol.com on 2005.04.06 at 13:04:14(12842)
In a message dated 4/6/2005 2:23:28 AM Eastern Standard Time, emily.rasmussen@gmail.com writes:
I was chatting with someone who also lives in Florida and she saidthat she keeps hers constantly wet. How much water do you give yours?--Emily
I keep it sitting in a birdbath, so it is almost always damp or wet. It is never given a "dry season".

Linda

+More
From: Ronmchatton at aol.com on 2005.04.07 at 03:47:09(12847)
On the northern coast of California where I grew up, these plants thrive in
full sun and are essentially wet from about the middle of October through March
or April before the rains stop. The only time they go dormant is after a
sharp freeze and then only for a very short time and they start growing
again. Under these conditions large colonies are in flower most of the
year.

In Atlanta we grew a number of species in full sun with ample water during
the growing season and they never failed to flower. Plants not grown in
essentially full sun would rarely produce flowers.

Ron McHatton

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.