IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arum dioscoridis var. cyprium
From: Baumfarn Webmaster webmaster at baumfarn.at> on 2005.05.03 at 06:44:18(12901)
:'( :'( :'(
My Arum dioscoridis var. cyprium doesn't like what I do to her.
Have someone a clue??

In reality it looks even worse. The leave didn't even fold up
completely.

+More
From: "Hal or Nancy Robinson" robyn82 at bellsouth.net> on 2005.05.04 at 01:09:29(12906)
strange color. Is this the true color? If so that could be the
problem. I keep mine on the dry side and it is blooming.
Nancy

+More
From: "Susan Bryant" coops at execpc.com> on 2005.05.04 at 12:09:57(12907)
Maybe the tuber doesn't like sticking out of the soil??
Susan

+More
From: Baumfarn Webmaster webmaster at baumfarn.at> on 2005.05.06 at 22:38:55(12917)
Thanks to all,
I replanted the tuber. The roots didn't looked good anymore.
The soil was clay based. The vendor told me they need a mineral rich
and wet soil like clay.
Seem that this was a fatal advise.
Do you place it in sun, half-shade oder shade?

thanks
Peter

+More
From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington at earthlink.net> on 2005.05.11 at 01:53:58(12926)
Title: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum dioscoridis var. cyprium

Hi Peter and all!
Just my two cents worth about growing Arum in pots . . . I have quite a few of them, and they are doing quite well, but I find that they pretty much hate sitting in water-logged and heavy soils in pots where the water can’t really get out. They do appreciate mineral-rich soils, but with better drainage. I have been experimenting with planting them quite deep in wood-based compost mixed with abundant coarse sand and a heavy dose of barn lime (ground limestone), and they seem to really benefit from it. I get loads of big, robust and stinky blooms and bunches of babies.
Here in the Central Valley of California, the ground is virtually pure clay, and corms planted outside in it do fine, but I believe that the water percolates and flows freely through the soil, and although it may be very wet to the touch, it is not stagnant or oxygen-deprived, as it might be in a small pot. As Nancy already mentioned, odd colors on the soil surface may indicate anaerobic conditions and stale, rotted soil – not a good home for Arums!
Anyway, stick with it and keep trying. Arums are one of my favorite plant groups, and really deserve to be more widely planted and appreciated. If you think that wet soil will always be a problem, consider trying Arum hygrophilum. It’s a cute, elegant and mercifully odorless thing that can take much wetter soil than most Arum species. I can send you offsets if you want to try it.

Cheers!
C.J. Addington

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.