IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Hardy Sauromatum?
From: Floral Architecture john at floralarchitecture.com> on 2005.07.05 at 17:28:48(13126)
I was given a Sauromatum by a friend in Columbus, OH that is fully hardy on Canton, OH (z5b). It blooms every year, sets seeds and pups religiously. Can anyone tell me what it is?
The leaf is large, about 3' tall and it really spirals from the center to the edges. I don't know if it has reseeded itself as I am only there a couple weeks at a time. I have thought about harvesting the seeds but I haven't.
I have some of the same plant here in L.A., CA but it has only produced one flower and that was when I was in OH so I missed it.
+More
From: Don Martinson llmen at wi.rr.com> on 2005.07.06 at 00:09:08(13130)
I was given a Sauromatum by a friend in Columbus, OH that is fully
hardy on Canton, OH (z5b). It blooms every year, sets seeds and pups
religiously. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Probably just the same Typhonium venosum, as it is now called.

The leaf is large, about 3' tall and it really spirals from the
center to the edges. I don't know if it has reseeded itself as I am
only there a couple weeks at a time. I have thought about harvesting
the seeds but I haven't.

Typhonium venosum is one of those plants which offsets or pups so
freely that it is hardly worth the bother of harvesting and
germinating seeds unless you have some specific reason for doing so.

My experience with this plant, which has only overwintered for me
once here in Milwaukee, is that it is hardy in the ground to about 0
or +5 degrees F. Siting next to a building or additional mulch will
probably gain you another 10 or 15 degrees lower in temp.

--
Don Martinson

+More
From: "danny wilson" mudwasp_ at hotmail.com> on 2005.07.06 at 02:45:55(13132)
Sauromatum venosum. I dont think there are any other species in Sauromatum, are there? (Sauromatum is now synonimous with Typhonium)>From: Floral Architecture >Reply-To: Discussion of aroids >To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>Subject: [Aroid-l] Hardy Sauromatum?>Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:28:48 -0700 (PDT)>>>I was given a Sauromatum by a friend in Columbus, OH that is fully hardy on Canton, OH (z5b). It blooms every year, sets seeds and pups religiously. Can anyone tell me what it is?>>The leaf is large, about 3' tall and it really spirals from the center to the edges. I don't know if it has reseeded itself as I am only there a couple weeks at a time. I have thought about harvesting the seeds but I haven't.>>I have some
+More
From: "Abrimaal Svartvinter" abrimaal at o2.pl> on 2005.07.06 at 08:04:17(13135)
It's not synonymous. The genus Sauromatum with 1
or 2 species has been moved in 2000 to Typhonium counting about 80
species.

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2005.07.08 at 04:13:25(13152)
Hey Don,
Any dishes at your restaurant utilizing the harvest of bushels of Sauromatum tubers ha ha? I always thought I could go out to my yard if starving...
Bonaventure Magrys
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.