IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

black Anthurium
From: GeoffAroid at aol.com on 2005.07.13 at 23:05:08(13172)
Hi all,
Does anyone have any more information about the mysterious Black Anthurium from Ecuador? I know this topic was discussed a long time ago and I think that someone (Lynn Hannon?) suggested a species called A. crebrerense (I think thats the spelling). I was sure this name was on the species list on the aroid website but on looking again it seems to have vanished. Has its identity been confirmed or is it perhaps an undescribed species? It is such a large and dramatic species (Ecuagenera Orchids sell them at most shows when they exhibit here in the UK). Any update would be welcome, also any tips on growing it would be great, since it seems a rather fussy species.

Best wishes,
Geoffrey Kibby

+More
From: Aroideae at aol.com on 2005.07.13 at 23:29:31(13173)
hi geoff---it's actually A cabrerense, and old Engler species. i
believe though that it's known only from Colombia. i've had no luck
growing it. someone else will have to help you with that. i know
that a number of people grow it very well. there's little doubt about it's
identity. there are some plants floating around that have been tagged 'the
black anthurium', but these turn out to be A watermaliense.

lynn

+More
From: Ron Kaufmann kaufmann at sandiego.edu> on 2005.07.14 at 07:18:02(13174)
Hi All,
The collection records in Tropicos indicate that
this species was collected at 1300-2600 m elevation. I've been told
by the folks at Ecuagenera that this species does best under cooler conditions
than many other Anthuriums, and my experience has been that warm conditions
(high temperatures consistently in the low 90s Fahrenheit, 32-34 deg Celsius)
lead to progressive decline in the plant. Currently, I grow this
species successfully in a humid area that seldom exceeds 86 deg F/30 deg
C during the day and cools down to 60-62 deg F/15-16 deg C at night.
Ron Kaufmann
+More
From: geoffaroid at aol.com on 2005.07.14 at 08:25:33(13175)
Many thanks Lynn,
That explains why I couldn't find the name! My own plant limps along,
making new healthy leaves but dropping old ones just as fast, so it
never seems to get much bigger. Anyone out there who has the secret for
this plant it would be great if you could share your info.

Best wishes,
Geoffrey

+More
From: Riley2362 at aol.com on 2005.07.14 at 13:38:02(13176)
Hi All,
I'm glad to know a species name on the "black Anthurium" of "A. cabrerense", thanks Lynn. I have seen this plant growing at the nursery of Ecuagenera, in Ecuador and it does indeed grow in what orchid growers consider an "intermediate" house, not exceptionally cool (much as the temperature range that Ron gives), but not warm-growing like A. veitchii or A. warocqueanum. It grows in bright (equatorial) light and very good humidity. When I cultivate it in New York (non-equatorial) City light, I find that it likes some morning sun and ... very good humidity. I think it was Betsy Feuerstein who told me to keep sphagnum moss up around the neck of the plant to welcome the new roots. It likes a good roomy pot and when the plant starts to get "necky", I lift it up and cut off the bottom of the stem, then drop it back into the same pot with new moss around the top. This seems to keep it happily in a state of growth that encourages and maintains good leaves. Whereas it is alway
s in flower in the nursery (and a few of the flowers are small, but Ecuagenera selects and exports only the plants with the HUGE flowers) - flowering in New York City is ... occasional.
Cheers - Michael Riley

+More
From: Dan Levin levin at pixar.com> on 2005.07.14 at 15:45:18(13178)
Dear Geoffrey et al,

involves relocating to either the Columbian highlands or to San Francisco...

In the case of SF, A. cabrerense (as well as other Ecuagenera material) grows quite
well outdoors- enjoying our virtually constant cool, moist clime which is beset by frequent
air movement (as a result of the fog and marine influence). Temps here are pretty much
band-limited, ranging between 10? C / 20? C much of the year. Of note, the light is also
tempered in intensity as it filters through fog much of the time. Not sure if these represent
ideal conditions per se, but most of the local growers I know do well by this species.
I should mention that even here some winter protection must be made available, though
it hasn't been necessary to employ it the last few seasons.

As to growing medium... I use a very open single-inventory mix for most of my aroids:
small graded charcoal, pumice & a good quality shredded sphagnum. I've also seen
A. cabrerense growing very well in nothing but long-fibered sphagnum (Walter Teague).

As a "control" of sorts, I lost my first A. cabrerense plant (many years ago) by ignorantly
cultivating it in my heated greenhouse, where it languished and slowly declined. At the
time, it seemed utterly incongruous that a rare/ exotic Anthurium could actually survive,
let alone thrive outdoors in the garden amongst the sequoia, gunnera and lapegeria.

-Dan

+More
From: geoffaroid at aol.com on 2005.07.15 at 08:29:01(13180)
Thanks to all who replied re. Anthurium cabrerense, it gives me a much
better idea of how to try growing this species. I think I have kept it
too hot and I will certainly try the sphagnum moss around the stem
technique. Its such a beautiful species and I would really like to
succeed with it!

+More
From: piaba <piabinha at yahoo.com> on 2009.10.08 at 18:29:11(20166)
i think marek meant this message to the group.

FYI.

=========

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.