IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dormancy
From: ted.held at us.henkel.com on 2005.08.24 at 12:35:38(13309)
Dear list,

Does anyone know what it is that makes an aroid enter dormancy? Similarly, what triggers the exit from dormancy? I suppose there could be different triggers for different species, say cold temperatures for one kind, dryness for another. The interesting thing for me is that it seems like it must be a form of communication that is transmitted to the organism as a whole, more or less all at once. Otherwise some parts would get out of synch and problems would result. Two possibilities come to mind. First, that there might be a chemical emitted by some sensing organ and transfused rapidly throughout the plant. Second, that individual cells are each capable of sensing the same signal and entering dormancy on their own. Both mechanisms would seem to have problems in the coordination of the events, especially the time to emerge from dormancy. Has this been discussed in the literature? Another elementary question from me.

+More
From: "Martin Ashworth" martin at maservices.fsnet.co.uk> on 2005.09.05 at 12:44:38(13340)
Most of my arisaemas are going dormant, inc
concinnum and griffithii. Those out in the garden have to fend for themselves.
They are in a bed with reasonable drainage and lots of organic material. Those
in pots, concinnum and other 'tender' ones for my Zone 7, eg sikkokianum,
speciosum, and ones requiring good drainage, eg saxatile - are now being lifted
from pot, examined and repotted in fresh dry compost. They are stored in frost
free greenhouse and not watered again until growth appears.
Martin Ashworth
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.