IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Traffic Jams on the Information Superhighway
From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail at earthlink.net> on 1970.01.01 at 00:00:00(13634)
If you've ever tried to do any research on the Internet, you understand the meaning of my subject line. It is so crowded, you can't get anywhere. Take my problem in particular: I am trying to find pictures of certain species of Philodendrons, to compare and match with specimens on the ground for identification purposes. Websearch using the species names as keywords turns up pages and pages of links, none of which are of any use. Botanic gardens, universities, etc., keep extensive lists of their collections, but seem to have an aversion to showing pictures. Nurseries love showing pictures -- of small, market-size specimens in 4" or 6" pots, which does not help me to identify the mature specimen growing halfway up a tree. I just spent almost two hours sifting through websites making reference to the species I have in mind, and am no closer than I was before I started.

_Exotica_ said 'way back in the 80s that Philodendron imbe, for example, has been a parent of many commercial hybrids -- so why it is so hard to find a decent picture of a mature specimen?

Incidentally, on Abrimaal's site, the Philodendron submitted 15 August 2005 (not by me) looks like one I am trying to identify. Does anyone have a clue what it is?

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill at bellsouth.net> on 2005.12.22 at 16:46:32(13638)
Go to Google and click on Images Search, then search Philodendron imbe. You
will get pictures only with links attached. That might concentrate the
search a bit. G.

W. George Schmid

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.