IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

ID Please
From: Brian Williams pugturd at alltel.net> on 2006.05.22 at 00:11:49(14267)
It is not the same plant known as Alocasia Hilo Beauty this is a true
species caladium Juilus would know best.
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.03.11 at 12:18:08(19184)

Hi all, My friend sent me these pics of a plant he found growing on his property in the hills outside of Rio de Janeiro as he was building a new greenhouse and he was hoping to get an ID. I'm not convinced the variegation means anything since a couple of other pics showed the leaves clearly going dormant so this may just be a sign that it is on its way down for the end of the summer growing season...or not.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

HTML

+More

From: Don Martinson <LLmen at wi.rr.com> on 2009.03.12 at 00:05:44(19186)
No help on the ID, but I hope that last pix shot was a seed head full of seeds ( hint, hint)

Don Martinson

HTML

+More

From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2009.03.12 at 01:09:37(19187)
Hi Dan,

This is Asterostigma. It would be worth cc. your friend's images to Marcus Nadruz in Rio B.G. (mnadruz@jbrj.gov.br), who I am sure would be able to put a species name on this.

Very best

Pete

HTML

+More

From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2009.03.12 at 11:31:49(19189)
Hi Pete and Julius,

Thanks so much for the genus ID. I will pass this along to the guy in Brasil and let him communicate with the people you suggested as it will likely be easier than me being a go-between!!

Don, no idea if this is setting seed, but I have no real intention of getting any of them even if it is......if he offers to send some seed I will let you know.

Looking forward to spring in Gibsonia, PA

Dan

HTML

+More

From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br> on 2009.03.17 at 22:18:42(19193)
Hi guys, Peter is right. If someone need to seed some group, I have some in cultivation and I can send.
Marcus

> Hi Dan,
>
> Your friend should be VERY careful about sending seed of indigenous species out of Brazil...the Brazilian authorities take a very dim view of such activities.
>
> Very best as ever
>
> Pete
HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.