IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus Titanum(?) Seedling ID and long storage
From: mudskipper1 at hotmail.co.uk (James Park) on 2007.11.03 at 15:52:51(16650)

Hello,Last Christmas I purchased 3 titanum seeds from an ebay seller called kaizwt1. The seeds she sent did not arrive, so she sent me replacement seeds (one germinated before turning out to be 'albino'). The original seeds turned up in the post last September, and two of the three were completely shrivelled up. One looked perfectly fine, so I dunked it in fungicide and planted it in an open, peaty compost (I didn't expect it to germinate). It germinated within two weeks and I was stunned because I thought Amorphophallus seeds are supposed to have a very short storage time (this one was out of the berry for 8 months)! Is this unusual? The seedling is growing much faster than the 'albino' and the actual leaf is just starting to appear from the protective leaf. I am not completely convinced this is a titanum because of another leaf forming next to it that appears to be an offset (I assume titanum doesn't produce offsets). I know of only one other true titanum thar produces offsets, 'Rhea'. Can anyone identify
it? Sorry for the poor photography.Thanks
James
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.