IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

I am alive
From: edggon at hotmail.com (Eduardo Goncalves) on 2007.12.19 at 13:12:19(16842)
Dear aroiders,

I has been a long time since I sent a note to aroid-l. I have heard rumours that I was sick or even dead! Fortunately, I am alive and now I am trying to be online again. It will take some time, because I have to read about 1300 "new" messages (it is true) in this hotmail account. If some of you need a faster answer, write me on the other address (eduardog at ucb.br).
For those that are curious about my absence, I have just published a new book on Plant Morphology, which was coauthored by Harri Lorenzi. This is the first edition in Portuguese, but we are discussing an English version. More than 1000 terms on Plant Morphology are described (as a dictonary), its etymology (greek, latin, etc) was dissected and an ink drawing together with three color pictures of the quoted structured are presented. The book have 3020 photos and 1048 ink drawings, covering the morphology of all vascular plants (including ferns). Check it in www.plantarum.com.br, if you are curious.
Althought my "off-aroid" year has kept me busy, I am still work on our dearest group. This year I have published my phylogeny on Spathicarpeae (now including Dieffenbachia and Bognera, together with the new genera Incarum and Croatiella). We have just finished here the phylogeny of Caladieae-Zomicarpeae complex, which will change a bit the taxonomy of the group. An important example is that Caladium lindenii is not a Caladium neither a Xanthosoma. It is closer to Syngonium and maybe its first generic name- Phyllotaenium - will be used again. Now we are working on the phylogeny of Lasioideae and also in the phylogeny of subgenus Meconostigma within the Philodendron. The manuscript on the taxonomic revision of Spathicarpeae is being formatted for publication and the revision of Xanthosoma are on its way. New species of Philodendron, Anthurium, Rhodospatha, Xanthosoma, Caladium and even a new species of Bognera (with sagittate leaf) will be presented this next year. The project using DNA barcoding to
ID aroids is now running fast. We have a PhD student working on it and many undergraduate students. Aroids will be my priority again in 2008!

Very best wishes,

Eduardo

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.