IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Arisaema imports
From: plantguy at zoominternet.net (Daniel Devor) on 2007.12.30 at 16:02:55(16866)
Hi everyone, I hope you are getting ready for a wonderful new year in 2008 :o)

I am planning on importing some Arisamea for the first time in 3 years so if anyone is interested in any of the following Himalayan species and does not feel like messing around with this themselves then you are welcome to go in on an order with me. I will be getting:

A. album
A. barnesii
A. concinnum
A. consanguineum
A. costatum
A. galeatum
A. griffithii v. Pradhanii
A. intermedium
A. jacquemontii
A. nepenthoides
A. propinquum
A. speciosum v. magnificum
A. tortuosum
A. utile

I have pictures of mine of most of these species at the following link: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/TreasuredBotanicals/Arisaema/

Be advised that most people consider many of these Himalayan species to be difficult to grow and I can concur with that on several of the species, although others are rather easy in a zone 6 garden.

Please e-mail me for the particulars if you are interested at plantguy at zoominternet.net and if you are not interested after finding out the details please have the courtesy to let me know that as well as I find this to be a rare trait in people....likely recessive :o)

Of course, if anyone wants the weed we all call Amorphophallus bulbifer or Amorph. napalensis I can get those for you as well.

I am also hoping to do an import from Penroc plants in South Africa for some Boophane, Brunsvigia, Crinum, Pancratium tenuifolium, etc. so if there are enough people interested in those little bits of exotica please let me know and maybe we can get something arranged with that as well.

Looking forward to spring already,

Dan

+More
From: ggusman at skynet.be (Guy Gusman) on 2008.01.01 at 09:09:04(16874)
Dear Dan,
Very interesting website and beautiful photos. Congratulations!
Hope you don't mind if I suggest a few identifications:

Arisaemasp35-PB.jpg = Arisaema fargesii

ArisaemacandidissimumgreenPB2.jpg = PB1.jpg = Arisaema lichiangense

LilyChenYiPB2.jpg = Lilium gloriosoides

ParisspPB1.jpg = Paris luquanensis

It's a pity I don't live in the States, I'd liked to order a few
plants with you. Nearly all species mentioned in your list are hardy
in our garden (zone 8, USDA scale). Except A. album and A. barnesii.
I doubt they can suffer our wet, cold winters.
Best wishes.
Happy New Year.
Guy Gusman

+More
From: plantguy at zoominternet.net (Daniel Devor) on 2008.01.02 at 03:46:15(16877)
Hi Guy,

Thanks so much for the IDs and glad you liked the pics. I really love the Paris and seem to have finally managed to get a few different ones established in my garden so now if they will just multiply I will be a happy gardener!

I agree that Ar. album would likely have no chance, but I am surprised that barnesii can not take your winters, unless as you say it is the rain, which is always the real problem I think.

We are finally getting our first real cold of the year and will not be above freezing for a couple of days or so.

Happy New Year,

Dan

+More
From: ggusman at ulb.ac.be (Gusman Guy) on 2008.01.04 at 08:13:05(16891)
Dear Dan,
I didn't try barnesii outside because I never got much material so... On the other hand, I cultivated A. album from Meghalaya in a mild spot in the garden. It went through some winters before vanishing. Is it due to our cold winters? Or wet winters? Meghalaya is often compared to Scotland, also wet and mild.
Guy

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.