IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

weird konjac
From: StroWi at t-online.de (StroWi at t-online.de) on 2008.01.20 at 09:39:14(16970)
Aroiders,

if someone is interested in a weird triple flowered konjac, have a look:
http://www.exoten-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t#232&page=5

Happy growing,
Bernhard.

From: honeybunny442 at yahoo.com (Susan B) on 2008.01.20 at 16:30:25(16971)
That is strange!

"StroWi at t-online.de" wrote: Aroiders,

if someone is interested in a weird triple flowered konjac, have a look:

+More
From: agoston.janos123 at gmail.com (Jan Agoston) on 2008.01.20 at 17:12:45(16973)
Dear Bernhard,

It is a teratome. Actually this is often happening with bulbs, like the bigger bulbs of hyacinthus may produce 3 or 4 flowering stems from the bulb, but only 1 leaf rozette. While playing with temperature in the warehouse people realized, that on a specific temperature during flowerstalk development they can avoiding the multiple stems. They have only one but big stem (this teratome called "cristata" in latin), a bit flattened, but with much more flowers on a stem. Sometimes the game is finished before all bulbs developed their stalks, and we may see a stem with a forking end. (Properly one stem with 2 ends). It is also common with Hippeastrums, but on the Auction it is not a pre. (It is called "vuursteel" in Dutch).

I think this is what had happened, but it can be a result of virus infection also.

If it do this next year it does not mean that it will go like this forever.

You may remebre the A. titanum with 3 inflorescences from last(?) year? If the initiation of the inflorescences haven't had finished correctly (e.g.: it would got a cold shock, or something extreme) maybe the 3 inflorescences wouldn't developed separately, but together, and we would have seen similar symptoms.

I hope others have also opinions in this regard.

Bye,
Jan

+More
From: mollyday1 at gmail.com (Molly Day) on 2008.01.21 at 01:15:37(16975)
Wow! That could inspire an entire genre of horror movies.
Martha Stoodley
Muskogee OK US
+More
From: soukupvg at email.uc.edu (Victor Soukup) on 2008.01.21 at 18:52:03(16980)
Hi Aroiders,
When my Amorphophallus henryi produced 5 infloresences from a
single tuber last spring, I thought it was strange and asked Wilbert for
comment. He said it wasn't unknown --- not common but occasional. The 5
infloresences were not all the same size but varied from about typical down
to 1/3 "full" size. It was strange to see.

Vic Soukup

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.