IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Blooming Titanum in Summit, New Jersey
From: hyndman at aroid.org (Scott Hyndman) on 2008.02.16 at 05:17:55(17070)

For those living near Summit, New Jersey, Dr. Fevzi Zeren tells me
per the note and images below that he has an Amorphophallus titanum
getting ready to bloom under artificial lights in the basement of his
Turkish Restaurant. He tells me that the netting is up to protect
the inflorescence from a marauding cat who fancies eating the tip of
the apendix! He said that any interested parties should feel free to
call and setup a visit.

Regards, Scott

+More
From: jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu (Ertelt, Jonathan B) on 2008.02.17 at 03:18:11(17075)
Just out of curiosity, did he say anything about closing his restaurant
for a couple of days? It would seem like good planning to do so.

Jonathan

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net (bonaventure at optonline.net) on 2008.03.10 at 19:57:15(17157)
Two weeks ago I went for a short trip to the restaurant, the food was good and Fevsi is an amiable and engaging host. The highlight was of course when he took my girlfriend and me down to the basement past the kitchen to see the one in bloom and one starting growth. Nearly past its prime, the smell was still there a bit, especially as you lean forward and sniff the spadix, I sure hope he had an out and back air pressure flow there during the week! As we crowded around the walls of the little room to make room for the star an occasional disruptive flash from a camera set up by the Newark Star-Ledger with time delay startled us. I took some pictures with my cell phone, but as they did not comeout well. I'll wait for good software to download them (and the computer that doesn't have a broken D drive for CD's) and maybe will send them in.

Bonaventure Magrys

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.