IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Alocasia reticulata.
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.02.29 at 23:37:04(17110)
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:10:31 -0600
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Alocasia reticulata??

Dear Steve,

I am not an Alocasia expert by any means, but the name rang a bell in my memory bank, sending me searching in Deni Bown`s most excellent book, her work on all aroids titled "Aroids, plants of the arum family". See page 184, where she has almost a full page explaining this ''group'' of Alocasias, which also includes Alocasia zebrina and A. "Tigrina Superba," both seemingly closely related to your A. reticulata. She goes on to say that your plants origins are unknown, that it is not known the wild, and that it is believed that it may be a ''sport'' which apparently was first sold by Fantastic Gardens in Florida in the 1970`s.
I once more urge ALL Aroidophyles ''out there'' to invest in a copy of Deni Bowns book, as most of the questions asked on this list are answered in this invaluable volume! I could not exist without mine, I know that!

The Best,

Julius Boos

+More
From: chadmayer at yahoo.com (Chad Mayer) on 2008.03.03 at 02:08:30(17117)
Thanks for the welcome Don. Yeah, you stay a little warmer in the Winter in FL than we do here in AZ. I get regular light frosts end of Dec thru mid Jan, and most alocasias in the ground become annuals with that occurence (yes, I know there are exceptions, and I have a little luck with a few in the ground). I have the additional challenge of heavy, heavy clay soil, so that really doesnt help at all. But, slowly but surely, Im improving the soil and having more successes.
Oh, Ive got my share of anthuriums...with a few more on the way.
Chad

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.