IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Cultivating Cyrtosperma
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.03.10 at 09:34:38(17151)
----------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 02:00:10 +0100
> From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma
>
>
+More
From: davidhorak at bbg.org (Horak, David) on 2008.03.10 at 16:38:49(17153)
Here at the botanic garden we have many of the more common big aquatic aroids. All are cultivated on display or in the back with their root masses completely submerged and they grow like weeds. This would not be an easy approach for anyone without a greenhouse, but if you do have one (or are able to grow outside) it is easy. As Julius and others have indicated the concern is more than just being "wet". Fresh water frequently is the key. In the case of our aquatic house pool there is a constant slight flow of fresh make-up water so any media works as there is little problem with anaerobic conditions and hence root rot. Secondly, warm water temperatures are crucial. All our plants-whether Typhonodorum, Lasia, Montrichardia, Lasimorpha, Urospathas or Cyrtospermas-inevitably get exposed to air temps down to the upper 30's F. for a night, two or three, but the water temperature is maintained at 80 degrees and none show any ill effects. Though last year the water heater failed and the water temps went down to the
mid-40's and there was considerable leaf yellowing in the succeeding weeks, though no plant losses. It is a constant challenge to provide enough nutrients to these plants.

In our back houses, any plants, seedlings, divisions are grown with submerged roots and daily freshening-mostly just topping off from evaporation though once in a while significant replacement. These rarely get fertilized as there would be problems. The media for everything is primarily a clay soil, compost and sand mix but they have not shown themselves to be fussy.

Just thought I would add to this discussion. I will try to get some photos in the next couple of days to post.

Dave Horak

+More
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.03.12 at 09:43:06(17163)
Hi,

many thanks to Julius and all the others for their suggestions on cultivating Cyrtosperma johnstonii. I will redo the growing conditions in my greenhouses to result in individual plants, matching with all my other perfectly shaped aroids.

Good Growin?
Helmut

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.