IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

10 Amorphophalls Titan plants
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E Morano) on 2008.04.08 at 01:10:59(17316)
I just purchased 10 amorphophalls Titan plants for $165 dollars. Im pretty sure they are seedlings or 1 year old. Do you think I got a good deal on this? Or did I get robbed?

---------------------------------
You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.04.08 at 09:50:36(17326)
> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:10:59 -0700
> From: ironious2 at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] 10 Amorphophalls Titan plants

In my humble opinion, this is a great deal and a great price IF they are in fact A. titanum.

Julius

+More
From: ronmchatton at aol.com (ronmchatton at aol.com) on 2008.04.08 at 13:37:35(17329)
If they are what I think you bought (company in Deland Florida or Ormond Beach Fl) they are older than a year and some of them have corms up to fist size.? You got an amazing deal.? At one time, mericlones of titanum that had three leaflets and stood about 3-4" tall cost as much as $75 each if you could even find them.? If you look at Plant Delights, I think they are now $50 each.

The plants you bought are seedlings not mericlones and grow very vigorously.? The seed was collected from a moderately high elevation population (not cold growing but they do see mid-60's for brief periods).? I brought in around 4000 of them in from Troy Davis while working for Worldwide Orchids about 3 years ago?and we were unable to sell virtually any of them.? At the same time, we also brought in 450 decus-silvae seed and could sell that rarity either.? To my knowledge most of those have gone to the great Aroid site in the sky.? It's really an unfortunately story considering home much of that rare material simply died from neglect when I left.? The seedlings?reached?18" tall in the first year and they would be even bigger than they are if they had received decent care after I left and before EFG bought them all.? Some people on this list may remember the year that I brought a bunch of material to the Aroid Show at the Fairchild.....September following Hurrican Wilma.

Ron McHatton

+More
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E Morano) on 2008.04.08 at 17:30:27(17332)
Wow that is interesting. I did get the from EFG. They told mt that they are 2 to 3 feet tall. So would you say that they are about 3 years old now? Also, the seeds, were they collected from a wild population? Thanks for all that background information! You mad me a happy man. :D
Erin

+More
From: ronmchatton at aol.com (ronmchatton at aol.com) on 2008.04.08 at 23:51:44(17337)
Erin:

Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly when we brought them in but 3 years is probably right.? The germination was virtually 100% and their growth rate was shockingly fast.? These you bought are probably on their 3rd leaf by now and they will be 2-3 feet tall as advertised.? I have several of the same population (and they are?indeed titanums....its hard to miss that seed) and the corm size?varies from about a golf ball up to fist sized depending on?how well grown they are.? When I left Worldwide in the summer of 2006, they really languished with no one their who?knew anything about growing them.? Several months went by and they were purchased by EFG Orchids in Deland and they've been bringing them to orchid shows around Florida since then.? Unfortunately, most of the really good stuff like decus-silvae, hewittii, lambii, borneensis and hirsutus died in the intervening months of poor care.

The seed were collected for Troy Davis when he was actively selling?Amorphs out of Indonesia, first under the name Bali Orchid Garden and then later on his own.??He had located populations of titanum in?several locations both?at low and high elevations.? To my knowledge all the seeds we brought in were collected from the higher elevation.??The seedlings that EFG is selling come from two collections but at this point it would be impossible to tell which belong to which.? However, they are seedlings so they represent a genetic diversity not available among those that have been flowering here in the last decade.? Before I left Worldwide, I sold 200 of them to a Botanical Garden in Bangkok.? It's sort of ironic that the seed had to?travel half-way around the world only to travel back again.??The petiole patterns vary from nearly covered with silvery dots to really coarse spotting patterns and, if you are lucky, you might actually get one with a deep maroon overlay on the lower 1/4 of the petiole.? Don't let anyo
ne tell you titanum doesn't vary much.

Regards,

Ron McHatton

+More
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E Morano) on 2008.04.09 at 21:56:38(17348)
When I get my plants I will be putting some up for auction. I will let you folks know when that happens.
Erin

"StroWi at t-online.de" wrote: Aroiders,

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.