IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anthurium coriaceum vs. A. harisii
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (Christopher Rogers) on 2008.06.06 at 00:40:28(17760)
Howdy,

Does anyone know how to separate Anthurium coriaceum from Anthurium
harrisii?

Thanks in advance!

Christopher

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.06 at 03:31:10(17765)
Dear Christopher,

Aloha. Surf on to classic TROPICOS and take a look at the photos...they speak a thousand words. Note especially the collective vein of Anthurium harrisii.

Do you have both species? Anthurium coriaceum is one of my favorite species...very large in some clones. Quite a drought tolerant, saxicolous species and of easy culture. I do not grow Anthurium harrisii.

Take a look at Tropicos and if you need more, I can email more information.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br (Marcus Nadruz) on 2008.06.06 at 13:49:31(17770)
Dear Christopher,

The species are very different, can be distinguished by the following characters:

?
A. coriaceum - robust plant; petiole rounded the times?obtusely flat; blade coriaceous; lateral veins obscure in living plant;?spathe coriaceous generally elliptical.
A. harrisii - delicate plant; petiole U-shaped with?carina at the margins;?blade chartaceous or membranaceous;?lateral?veins visible in the living plant;?spathe membranaceous lanceolate.

Both are common in Brazil.

Marcus

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.06.06 at 19:40:17(17772)
Christopher:

These two species are so radically different that you must have one of
them misdetermined. Do you have images of the plants that you are
trying to separate?

Tom

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (Christopher Rogers) on 2008.06.08 at 02:49:16(17800)
Howdy!

Thank you to all who replied. You have all helped tremendously. I have harisii in my collection, but not coriaceum. I saw an odd picture that looked like harisii, but was labeled coraiceum. I think that the picture was mislabeled. But, coriaceum does sound interesting. I must try it someday!

Grins,

Christopher

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.