IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Dr. Croat's review of the information provided on
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.06.11 at 10:37:50(17828)
> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:00:02 -0500
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Dr. Croat's review of the information provided on the inflorescene of Philodendron sagittifolium

Dear Steve,

An excellent page. This should put to rest any nasty letters, but probably will not. Just igore them. Also, you don`t need to explain ANYTHING about your photos quality, they are GREAT and do exactly the job they were intended to!!
Please change the word "she" to "her'' where I speak about Deni Bown`s book. I`d also explain that the photo of a scrab is of a GIANT scrab, probably a female Megasoma sp.(?), which feed on rotting fruit and the fermenting flows from cracks in certain trees) and NOT one of the smaller Cyclocephala sps. which do pollinate Philodendrons and other aroids. There is an excellent photo of many Cyclocephaline scarabs on a Philodendron bloom in an early Aroideana, why not find it, ask permission, and use it in your article/page?? Or you can refer readers to it?
Must rush off, so we shall talk later.

The Best,

Julius

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.11 at 17:24:04(17829)
I really can't guarantee where it originated. I saw the parent plant on a large tree at Orchid Jungle around 1997. It was well into the top of the tree. Once the park was destroyed my friend, who was the grounds keeper, took a cutting since he knew I collected plants. I later went back with him to salvage anything I could from the park (with country permission) because it was all scheduled to be bulldozed. By then very few of the original signs that had been posted by the owners were left due to people going in there to scavange the orchids which at one time numbered in the multiple thousands. The park at one time was filled with plant species since it was quite large. I don't recall exactly what I took but it was quite a few unidentified plants. If that sign had been left there I'm sure it would have been posted as to where the plant originated since the owners often posted that information. I'm told both owners were scientists and both were known to people at Fairchild. I'll try to learn their na
mes when I get back to Miami in September.

Tom has seen multiple photos of the plant and at least "appears" to be satisified it is the species. Tom, if I'm incorrect on this please correct me. He read my entire page yesterday and sent me a note saying "I can find no fault with your information". So right now, that's all I really know.

The next spathe is not fully open yet but the edge is now well unfurled. I'll check it with the camera again tonight. Julius seems to feel the problem is simply the plant is aware it isn't in the natural environment. That is obviously speculation as well. I just am not smart enough to know. I just keep trying to learn and do appreciate your and any other input.

Steve

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.06.11 at 18:05:02(17831)
Let me clarify what I just wrote. I saw the plant in the park one time prior to the hurricane on my one and only visit before Hurricane Andrew in 1992. The next time I saw it the park was in total decay with almost every sign removed. I recalled it but only from a single visit. By the time I saw it the Philodendron again it had regrown but was nothing compared to the first time I saw it.

Steve

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.