IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Glasshouses, Botanic Gardens & sustainability
From: drplantman at gmail.com (Jeremy P) on 2008.06.16 at 05:19:45(17844)
Hello Everyone,

I have a few quick questions for you, and if you could spare 5 minutes to
make some suggestions I'd be most appreciative! I'm putting together a
potential study tour for myself, focusing on sustainability in design and
practice in glasshouses & nurseries - primarily those in botanic gardens,
universities & similar organisations. I'm looking globally, and would love
your thoughts on the following:

- institutes or similar places that have glasshouses &/or nurseries built on
sustainable principles;
- any new projects/buildings/places being built that incorporate
sustainability and responsible resource use into the design, or even better,
are primarily focused on these principles;

I'd also love your suggestions for:
- botanic gardens, universities or similar public spaces that have a
tropical collection and you consider to be a top rate destination;

I'll be collating all the feedback I get and can send it on to interested
bods. I'll also post it on the Tropical Talk Forum (see link below). And
remember: the suggestion you may think is too obvious or simple may just be
the one I'm looking for! So please don't hold back on sending your thoughts
through...

Many thanks for your time and ideas!

Jeremy

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (Christopher Rogers) on 2008.06.16 at 17:38:24(17849)

I would recommend the Rainforest Pyramid in Galveston, Texas, USA, which is
spectacular. Attached is a picture of one of the Rhaphidiphora in the
collection. The pyramidal greenhouse is about five stories in height with
many large palms and strangler fig. There are many aroids, including
Rhaphidophora, Montrichardia, Alocasia, Xanthosoma, Epiprenum, Syngonium,
Gonatopus, Anchomaenes, and a large variety of Anthurium and Phliodendron
specimens.

I also recommend the Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco.

Happy days,

Christopher

+More
From: plantguy at zoominternet.net (Daniel Devor) on 2008.06.17 at 01:52:16(17854)
Hi Jeremy,

Check out Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh. There are many, many firsts for conservatories in terms of totally passive cooling so there is no HVAC, the first fuel cell in the world in a conservatory, they have the first LEED visitor center and they have more than 6,000 sq. ft. of roof that opens to deal with the so-called GH effect. The web site that deals with this technology is at: http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/greencomp1.htm

Unfortunately, they have few aroids of any interest at all as these are of very little interest to the average conservatory visitor.

Best of luck with your endeavors,

Dan

+More
From: mossytrail at hctc.com (mossytrail) on 2008.06.17 at 02:49:23(17855)
> I'd also love your suggestions for:
> - botanic gardens, universities or similar public spaces
> that have a tropical collection and you consider to be a
> top rate destination;
>
MOBOT! (Missouri Botanical Garden, St. Louis) Be sure to
meet with our own beloved Dr. Croat.

Lyon Arboretum, Manoa, Hawaii. They are most famous for
their palm collection, but they have an extensive aroid
collection as well.

From: hluther at selby.org (Harry Luther) on 2008.06.17 at 17:37:23(17863)
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, sarasota, FL, selby.org HEL

-----Original Message-----

+More
From: exotics at hawaii.rr.com (Windy Aubrey) on 2008.06.18 at 23:42:41(17868)
Hi Jeremy,

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested The Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, California.

I visited there a little over two years ago, and they had recently rebuilt their Tropical Conservatory. It was planted full of aroid specimens, and included one area called the 'Cloud Forest' that replicated a misty jungle beautifully. The reconstruction was fantastic, and the plants were wonderful.

I look forward to revisiting the Huntington the next time I am in Southern California.

Windy

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.20 at 10:26:06(17871)
Dear All,

Aloha.

I have been to Selby and I can second the motion that their tropical collection is excellent. It is wonderfully curated and the diversity of the epiphytic species is impressive. Harry Luther is an amazing bromeliad botanist. I want to study bromeliads again, just so I have an excuse to ask him a few questions. I really cannot say enough about Selby to do it justice...one simply has to experience it.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: harrywitmore at witmore.net (Harry Witmore) on 2008.06.20 at 10:45:34(17872)
A very nice place to visit is the McMillan Greenhouse at the University of
North Carolina at Charlotte.

HYPERLINK "http://gardens.uncc.edu/"http://gardens.uncc.edu/

It has a top notch rainforest display as well as a varied collection of
orchids, bromeliads, succulents and carnivorous plants. It's free to the
public on any day.

Harry Witmore

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.20 at 11:32:53(17873)
Dear Jeremy,

Aloha.

I support all efforts on sustainability and wise use of resources in everything we do. I have an exhibition of environmental sculptures now on view at the Honolulu Academy of Arts...you can read about them and see images at, www.honoluluacademy.org . Click on exhibitions on the dock and scroll to current exhibitions and Leland Miyano, Historia: Naturalia et Artificialia.

I can vouch for Lyon Arboretum as having a good tropical collection. I think that contacting Raymond Baker is essential. He is extremely knowledgeable on palms...but he knows many details on other plant groups as well. Lyon Arboretum is currently in a renovation stage, but if you are willing to see a wide range of tropical plants being grown outdoors ( over 150 acres) with a small staff and volunteer labor...you will be impressed. Lyon Arboretum is associated with the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Hawaii has a big problem with invasive species and Lyon Arboretum is educating the public about this issue in their programs.

Waimea Falls Arboretum is also a good place to see tropical plants grown in a large outdoor setting. Their collection is strong in Heliconiaceae and Zingiberaceae, among other Families. They are currently undergoing administrative reorganization. Also understaffed and underfunded, they have a good volunteer base and David Orr is extremely dedicated to the collections.

Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden has a fair collection. It is a 400 acre garden set at the base of the Koolau Mountains and the scenic beauty is wonderful, especially after a heavy rain...there are dozens of waterfalls cascading down each gully off almost vertical cliffs. Their collection is heavy in palms and cycads and tropical tree species...arranged geographically.

I do not know if these would fit into your sustainability tour...these gardens do practice aspects of sustainability...and things will improve over time. If anything else, understaffing and underfunding has forced some of these practices into their programs.

On a separate post, I also speak about Selby Gardens in Sarasota, Florida. I am a huge fan of their epiphyte collection...well curated and they have a top research focus. Impressive...contact Harry Luther. I do not know enough about their sustainable practices to comment...but they do compost and have educational signage on this subject.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.20 at 17:10:21(17877)
Dear Dan,

Aloha and mahalo for providing this link to Phipps Conservatory. It is amazing what can be done if a garden saves it's pennies. Do you know what the construction budget was? Was Phipps a steel baron? I have to take a better look later to read a history of this garden.

Perhaps Longwood Gardens would be a useful contact for Jeremy...although I know nothing about their tropical collection outside of the cascade garden that Roberto Burle Marx designed. It is a well funded garden, however.

Sorry to hear about your hail damage...hopefully everything will make a full recovery.

+More
From: gartenbaureisenberger at web.de (Helmut Reisenberger) on 2008.06.24 at 03:35:17(17933)
Dear Jeremy, Dear All!

I still do not know, if my original message got through to you, because it never has been confirmed.
I want recommend to you and to all aroiders to pay a visi to the Central European (indoor)collections of aroids, including a lot of rarities.
First to be mentioned the extensive collection at the Austrian Federal Gardens, based on some original plants dating back to H.W. Schott?s findings.
Only a few aroids are presently displayed to be seen by the public, but they have a restricted area (two greenhouses) where you might find a wide variety of Anthuriums, Monsteras and Philodendrons, some of them rarely seen in other places. A visit could be organized.

The Botanical Garden of the Vienna University (HBV), one of the oldest botanical showgrounds in the world, has not too many aroids to offer. Outstanding and spectacular are two huge climbers with adult leaves (Epipremnum pinnatum aureum, Rhaphidophora decursiva). Other rarities of aroids you might find in hidden spots. Of interest - to my opinion - are some new (unidentified) Anubias, which had been collected by one of the expert gardeners.

The Botanical Garden of the City of Linz (Upper Austria) also has some beautiful aroids to offer, like a very big Anthurium veitchii. Other aroids are spread over the undergrowth of the tropical section. Stunning for me is a huge climber at the entrance to the Orchid collection. I think it is Monstera lechleriana, but I am not to sure.

Of interest in Austria it also might be, to pay a visit to the Museum of Natural History (NHM), where they have a fine collection of drawings and paintingsm, dating back to the early days of aroid collection. Dr. Tom Croat knows a lot about this.

To the places, mentioned above, I would take you around and arrange meetings with the relevant experts.

Also to be recommended are old living plants collections in Poland, Slowakia and in the Czech Republic. These also date back to the early days of extensive botanical collection missions in the 19th century. I know some people to make contacts for a vist.

Not to forget is visit in the Botanical Garden of Munich (Germany), that had once been under the invaluable guidance of Dr. Bogner. Unfortunately I myself have never been there, but everybody talks about a comprehensive collection of aroids.

At last but not at least I would like to recommnd the Botanical Garden of the Darmstadt University (Germany), wherefrom I once got a cutting of Monstera tenuis - which recently has been in discussion in this forum. They do have a nice arrangement of tropical plants with a huge Typhonodorum lindleyanum in the middle of an indoor pond.

Finally I think this little information might be valuable for all aroid lovers. To Jeremy and to all: Do not hesitate to contact me, Helmut Reisenberger "gartenbaureisenberger at web.de", if you plan to pay a visit to this part of the world.

Good Growin?
Helmut

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.06.25 at 18:35:38(17963)
Dear Helmut and Jeremy,

Aloha.

I saw a program on the Royal Greenhouses of Laeken, built for King Leopold II of Belgium. The floorplan covers 2.5 hectares. I was really impressed by the Victorian Architecture and the pathway heating systems. However, this is a good example of BTU's out of control...they burn 200,000 gallons of heating oil per year. Now that is some heating bill. It is a marvel of historic building and it is beautiful. I have no idea about the plant collections...but,I suppose at some point they will have to consider double glazing and other measures to heat this with efficiency...

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: drplantman at gmail.com (Jeremy P) on 2008.06.25 at 23:23:48(17967)
Dear Helmut and all those who messaged me on-list and off,

First let me thank you all for the great response I have had to my query,
and apologise for my tardiness in replying to you: the volume of replies
combined with work not having access to the Net for the last week has slowed
me down quite a bit - I will reply to you all individually!

I'm working through all the messages and collating the suggestions into some
kind of shareable format and if you would like a copy please let me know.

Helmut, I've added your suggestions to the list too, and if I am traveling
your way I will definitely be in touch - thank you for the generous offer of
making contact other gardens and curators!

Many thanks again to you all!

Jeremy

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.06.25 at 23:34:02(17968)
Dear Helmut:

In reading through your list of European Gardens I did not see mention of the Czech institutions. They have a lovely garden in Prague, mostly set up by my friend George Haager and a new and even more exciting collection in Teplice where George now is Director of the Botanical Garden.

Tom

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.