IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anthurium with double spathe.
From: jardin_emilia at hotmail.com (JORGE JOEL TORRES-RIVERA) on 2008.06.17 at 00:41:27(17852)

Hello! I just wanted to share with you guys my new Anthurium. It has a red, double spathe that made me fell in love with it. Now i am wondering if this is the characteristic that point to a certain cultivar. Or maybe, is there any species that produces this double spathe? I found it in a Plant Fair here in Puerto Rico. And it seems like it is a certain variety and not an abnormaly in a specific plant, because, apart from my plant, there was another plant with the same double spathe. Any one can tell me more about this. Another curious thing is that the bigger spathe is Butterfly-shapped, while the smaller one is more heart-shapped. Any thoughts? Thank you,Jorge Joel...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.06.17 at 09:56:11(17859)
> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:41:27 -0400
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium with double spathe.

Dear Jorge Joel,

This is one of the many Anthurium hybrids loosly based on A. andreanum, and the double spathe is thought to be a result on chemical treatments during the tissue culture/cultivation process. It is particularly common in Spathiphyllums which you can see at the ''big box'' stores sold there by the millions. These plants are subjected to multiple chemicals as tiny plantlets still in the tissue culture flasks at the lab, some to make them grow faster, to produce abundant leaves, then when out of the flasks and growing, other chemicals are sprayed on their leaves to make them all bloom abundantly and all at the same time/month/season, so as to be able to market a bunch of blooming plants all together. Many will be seen to have deformed or double, sometimes tripple spathes and spadices.
In time the plant will ''grow out'' from the influence of the chemicals and again begin to produce ''normal'' one-spathed blooms.

Good Luck,

Julius

+More
From: dburch23 at bellsouth.net (derek burch) on 2008.06.17 at 11:49:41(17860)
Lucky you, Jorge. A few years ago Anthura (I think) had a range of examples
of "doubles" in their stand at 'Hort Fair' in Amsterdam. I have checked with
them since then, and they say that they have not proceeded with this line of
development as a commercial possibility. We all seem to go for novelty, but
'ordinary' anthuriums are so attractive that I am happy to settle for what I
have.

Check the aroid-l gallery for a few pictures of the "doubles".

Derek

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl (Marek Argent) on 2008.06.17 at 14:11:16(17862)
Yes, some cultivated aroids often produce double spathes especially when they are in bad condition, although there are cultivars which produce always two spathes like some Anthurium, Spathiphyllum and Zantedeschia. Many garden companies treat the plants with special chemical substances to produce such inflorescences, but as you buy them the next flowers are normal (or even sometimes the plants die). You can see some examples of such odd inflorescences in the www.aroid.org website.

Best,
Marek Argent

+More
From: exotics at hawaii.rr.com (Windy Aubrey) on 2008.06.17 at 20:31:44(17866)
Hi Julius,

That was a great explanation. Very interesting! I learned something new.

Thanks for that,
Windy

+More
From: jardin_emilia at hotmail.com (JORGE JOEL TORRES-RIVERA) on 2008.06.18 at 16:46:40(17867)
Hello! Ohh! So this is a result of tissue culturing? And there is a posibility that this plant will stop producing these double spathes? Well... somehow this is a little deceptioning. At least the spathe has a great color. If there are no more doubles, at least the color will look really great in my collection.

Thanks to every body for all the help!
Cheers,

+More
From: jardin_emilia at hotmail.com (JORGE JOEL TORRES-RIVERA) on 2008.06.20 at 16:33:24(17875)
Hello! Julius, thank you very much for all the info and for advicing looking at the next Aroideana. I will be anxiously waiting for the new issue to read your work. The double spathe is a very interesting theme.

A new inflorescence is developing and it also has a double spathe, but i guess it is too early to say if this characteristic will persist on my plant, or for how much time it will be present. Only the years to come will tell. In the meantime, i will just be happy to have it.

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.