IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Monstera deliciosa pollinators
From: mickpascall at hotmail.com (Michael Pascall) on 2008.07.07 at 12:10:06(18097)
Maybe it is just the pollinators missing that give us the seed free fruit of this tasty Aroid .
I noticed beetles swarming over flowers on a Monstera one year , and when I tried to eat the fruits the next year , they were full of seed .. Usually you are lucky to get only 1 or 2 seeds , but maybe in habitat there are many natural pollinators and the fruits contain hundreds of seeds . Michael Pascall,
+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.08 at 02:04:22(18108)
Dear Michael,

Aloha.

Great observation. I have never had seeds in my Monstera fruit...but,I do not eat them on a regular basis and do not check them for seed. Do we know of any botanists or enthusiasts in Mexico to tell us if there are many seeds in natural populations of Monstera deliciosa? I would suspect that seed grown plants would have a range of variations...I have only seen cultivated plants so this I could not comment on. Interesting tangent...thanks for bringing it up.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.