IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

How I Became a Meconostigma Nut
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.07 at 21:37:27(18104)
The road to madness is paved with good intentions...

http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/rencana/2008_7_7.htm
-------------- next part --------------

+More
From: dburch23 at bellsouth.net (derek burch) on 2008.07.08 at 18:32:13(18113)
Curious and interesting, if somewhat puzzling with its tantalizing gaps on
'why meconostigma?'. I big drop downward from canopy to the ground snakes
that I know in the group, that can only stand up about head height to a
basketball player.

But the big question: who is this Dr. James French, and why is he not
writing for Aroideana if he is eminent in the aroid community? This is an
editor's viewpoint, I suppose, so just put it down to a post-prandial
dyspepsia and ignore the question. Perhaps more to the point, why isn't
everybody, or anybody, writing for us either in the Newsletter or in
Aroideana. These are THE places beyond the web (and less ephemeral than a
website) to communicate with aroiders.

Derek

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.08 at 18:51:28(18114)
Dear Airlan,

Aloha.

A marvelous personal journey of discovery...exploring the roots of obsession.

I have Mark W. Moffett's, High Frontier, and your tale reminded me of the vegetative snakes of the canopy...the hemiepiphytes. This book is a great introduction to rainforests and canopy exploration. It took me back to Brazil and the giant lianas in the primary forests I visited. One of the so-called monkey ladders was enormous at its base...about three feet across and flattened to a thick plank that would be walked on with ease for quite a distance. Closer to home, I had to slay dragons in the form of Philodendron mello-barretoanum that grew into great serpentine pythons. They overtook large sections of my garden and I regretted having to slice and dice them with my chainsaw into massive piles of compostable carnage. I have several clumps remaining...but I needed to keep my vegetative dragons in check. This Meconostigma is one of my favorites, but it has intravaginal stipules that are persistent, large, and razor sharp. These dragons have teeth!

I suspect there are other obsessed souls out there interested in reading tales of exploration in the forests. May I recommend, One River,by Dr. Wade Davis...it tells several epic tales and both of the protagonists,are legends of the rainforests....Dr. Richard Evans Schultes and Dr. Timothy Plowman...of Philodendron plowmanii and Anthurium plowmanii, etc.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.08 at 23:29:44(18116)
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:37:27 -0700
> From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] My Story: How I Became a Meconostigma Nut

Dear Arlan,

Beautiful, really well written! You will never know how much I enjoyed reading your page, and how it has affected me! THANKS!
And---remember the great Jewish philosopher Hillel`s words--
"There is a pleasure in being mad which none but madmen know". This one has ''carried'' me for 40+ years.

The Best,

Julius

+More
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.09 at 20:15:08(18122)
Thanks Leland,

Your story about slaying Philodendron mello-barretoanum pythons with teeth is great!!! The dragon slayer with a chainsaw indeed... must have been a sight to see these glorious beasts take over your kingdom in Hawaii, only to be slain (or at least diced) for their affront.

Yes, you got the author of that book correct. Moffett actually is a great ant guy as well, takes great photographs and is regularly in National Geographic, although I believe an up and coming ant photographer called Alex Wild is even better!

http://www.alexanderwild.com/

+More
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.09 at 20:19:27(18123)
Thanks Julius, I think you'll enjoy this ongoing look at the origins of P. x evansii as well ;-)

http://www.blueboard.com/pahatan/rencana/p_x_evansii_origins.htm

--- On Tue, 7/8/08, ju-bo at msn.com wrote:

+More
From: kalim1998 at yahoo.com (a san juan) on 2008.07.09 at 20:24:52(18124)
Hi Derek,

Actually, if you look at the history of IAS, you'll see the names:

"Tom Ray, Dr. Tom Croat, Dan Nicolson, James French"

http://www.aroid.org/society/history.html

As to writing for the newsletter, yep, everyone should contribute to it. I would certainly want to if possible, it's just that it's very fast and easy to post articles on the website rather than wait. In the ant world, what I do is submit it to online newsletters then post it on my site as well once it's published.

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net (bonaventure at optonline.net) on 2008.07.10 at 15:22:00(18131)
Intra- WHAT!?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.