IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Monstera deliciosa pollinators-Thanks Mike
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.08 at 23:47:20(18117)
> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:10:06 +1000
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Monstera deliciosa pollinators

Dear Michael,

Great, GREAT idea! This is one which I had not thought of or considered (at least not up to this point)! AND--it makes perfect sense! It would take an Aussie, half way around the world and "down under", to come up with what may just be THE perfect soloution to this ''tangent"!
Think about it--when beetles are present (no matter if in Australia OR the plants natural habitat), pollination takes place resulting in a fruit full of seeds. If man collects cuttings in the wild and takes them to his village or home, surely these beetles are rarer or absent in a village or town, so the plant, now in cultivation, produces fruit with few or no seed, making it a very desirable item on the menue of ancient OR modern man! Thanks Mike!
Leyland`s idea of compiling this invaluable information in one place or on one page ''somewhere'' is a great one! I just am unable to do it with this antique computer. Steve Lucas is certainly welcome to incorporate all or some of it into his site!

Julius

+More
From: pugturd at alltel.net (Brian Williams) on 2008.07.09 at 23:02:55(18127)
I was able to get a few hundred seeds off of Monstera deliciosa last
year when I cross breed it with another species. I should have a write
up about it soon.

From: TheTropix at msn.com (Sherry Gates) on 2008.07.10 at 06:36:53(18129)
Hi Brian & everyone,
I can't wait to hear more about these! Are you going to reveal the mystery parent in the future?
Take care, Sherry
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.