IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

  Smallest Aroids - mini-Acorus
From: "James W. Waddick" <jim-jim at swbell.net> on 1997.10.24 at 07:16:51(1491)
>Dear Carlo,
>
>Some forms of Spathicarpa hastifolia are very small when adult (less
>than 12cm tall). You can also add Pistia on your list.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Eduardo.

+More
From: Dan Harrison <danhar at earthlink.net> on 1997.10.24 at 09:16:31(1495)
James W. Waddick wrote:
>

> On the other hand, a really small aroid I have lost and would like
> to replace is a very small form of Acorus gramineus pusillus - unnamed
> small form. This typical acorus-looking plant has foliage under 1 inch in
> height and was perfectly hardy here outdoors like its numerous cousins. It
> is about 1/3 the height of the typical A. gramineus pusillus. Does anyone
> grow this and want to trade?

Hi James,
Run a search for "Bonsai", A. gramineus pusillus is often listed in
Bonsai catalogs.
BTW; are you familiar with A. gramineus pusillus 'Aureus'? It's about
the same size (slightly larger)
and chartreuse to yellow.
Regards,
Dan Harrison

+More
From: eduardo gomes goncalves <eggon at guarany.cpd.unb.br> on 1997.10.27 at 07:28:31(1504)
On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, James W. Waddick wrote:

> Dear Carlo, Eduardo et all,
> If Eduardo can include Pistia, you might as well consider Lemna,
> Wolfia etc - the smallest of ALL flowering plants. Once included among
> Araceae, now mostly separated.
>
> On the other hand, a really small aroid I have lost and would like
> to replace is a very small form of Acorus gramineus pusillus - unnamed
> small form. This typical acorus-looking plant has foliage under 1 inch in
> height and was perfectly hardy here outdoors like its numerous cousins. It
> is about 1/3 the height of the typical A. gramineus pusillus. Does anyone
> grow this and want to trade?
>
> Best Jim W.
>

Dear Jim,

I am sorry to notice you that Acorus isn't an aroid anymore. Michael
Grayum has removed it some time ago, and it has now its own family
(Acoraceeae).

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at classic.msn.com> on 1997.10.27 at 12:08:23(1512)
----------
Sent: Friday, October 24, 1997 11:16 AM
To: ju-bo@msn.com
+More
From: Tony Avent <tony at plantdel.com> on 1997.10.28 at 06:46:18(1538)
Jim:

I guess we can talk about acorus until someone proves that it's not
an aroid any longer. It sounds like the "splitters" have been at work again.

I purchased the dwarf Acorus gramineus 'Pusillus' many times over
the years under a variety of different names, and when left undivided, it
all grew up to be A. g. 'Pusillus'. We have found that nurserymen who are
eager to divide plants too quickly can "dwarf" a plant. This condition
remains until the plant can be left undivided for at least three years.

A. g. 'Minnimus Aureus' is more dwarf than A. g. 'Pusillus' and
stays short. I think the A.g. 'Pusillus Aureus' that you mention is this plant.
Tony Avent

+More
From: plantnut at shadow.net (Dewey Fisk) on 1997.10.28 at 09:11:32(1541)
> I purchased the dwarf Acorus gramineus 'Pusillus' many times over
>the years under a variety of different names, and when left undivided, it
>all grew up to be A. g. 'Pusillus'. We have found that nurserymen who are
>eager to divide plants too quickly can "dwarf" a plant. This condition
>remains until the plant can be left undivided for at least three years.

Tony,
The above is true but there is one more consideration... If the plant has
been sprayed with one of the growth inhibitors, it will take about three
years for the spray to disapate. We have had this problem, in Florida,
with people who sell "Dwarf Bougainvillea". To the best of my knowledge,
there is no such dwarf.... Also, Nurseries try to sell "Dwarf Impatiens"
which has reacted to a product "Bonsai". So, it could be chemically
induced.
Dewey

+More
From: "James W. Waddick" <jim-jim at swbell.net> on 1997.10.28 at 19:49:06(1548)
> A. g. 'Minnimus Aureus' is more dwarf than A. g. 'Pusillus' and
>stays short. I think the A.g. 'Pusillus Aureus' that you mention is this
>plant.

+More
From: Tony Avent <tony at plantdel.com> on 1997.10.29 at 07:34:59(1554)
Jim:

If this plant really exists, let me know when you find it...sounds
great!
Tony Avent

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.