IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

A little help with Anthurium regale
From: EGoldfluss at aol.com (EGoldfluss at aol.com) on 2008.07.27 at 16:19:43(18266)
My A. regale has grown a neck about 10 inches long up out of its pot. I
don't know whether to pot it deeper or build up material around the neck. Any
advise would be appreciated.
Ed

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.28 at 15:24:43(18270)

Ed, what you are observing on your Anthurium regale is normal. We have three specimens, all in a large 66cm (26 inch) pot that is 60cm (24 inches) deep. The potting media is very porous and drains quickly. Our specimens are misted every day for 10 minutes during the heat of the year via an overhead misting system.

In Peru, the species is capable of producing 180cm (6 foot) leaves. We have seen leaves develop up to 90cm (3 feet) and have had one plant produce a spathe and spadix. The base of our largest plant extends at least 18cm (7 inches) out of the soil but since we re-potted all of them in deeper pots it has become stable and no longer needs to be propped up. The plants are kept in dim light. Some on this board have observed much larger leaves by keeping a specimen in light that is not bright.

Personally, I would not advise adding more soil. You might want to consider cutting the portion of the plant above the soil that has aerial roots and repot it. In very little time you will be growing two specimens.

Based on observations by other growers, terrestrial aroids need more room in the pot to allow their roots to spread in order to remain stable. That fact was our motivation to move all three plants into a wider and deeper pot two years ago..

Betsy Feuerstein, who sometimes responds on this forum, likely has done more personal observation of this species in Peru than anyone I am aware of. She has given me a great deal of excellent advice on the species and I am in hopes she will respond to your question.

In the meantime, you might find the information I've been able to gather useful:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20regale%20pc.htm

One observation I made with Dr. Croat's supervision which is interesting is the species produces pollen basioscopically (from the top of the spadix down). Most Anthurium species are acrospopic and produce pollen from the bottom of the spadix upwards.

Steve Lucas

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.07.28 at 19:43:09(18272)
Dear Ed:

One solution would be to wrap the whole extended neck of
this plant in a layer of moss which would encourage the roots to grow
into the moss and provide sustenance to your plant.

Tom

+More
From: EGoldfluss at aol.com (EGoldfluss at aol.com) on 2008.07.29 at 01:34:53(18278)
Steve-
Many thanks for your advice. I've known Betsy for some 22 years and she did
in fact reply. I will follow your and her recommendations.
Good growing.
e

+More
From: egoldfluss at aol.com (egoldfluss at aol.com) on 2008.07.29 at 14:13:36(18282)
Thomas:
Thank you I was considering that as roots would begin to develop but dry before growing.? I don't know whether you remember me but Joni Carter and I were founding board members of the ill fated Kentucky Botanical Gardens.? You were very kind to us and generous with your knowledge.

Best regards,
Ed

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2008.07.29 at 15:36:01(18284)
I hope your Anthurium regale grows really big for you!

Steve

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2008.07.30 at 03:29:22(18290)
Dear Ed,

Aloha. What a memory from the past...my mentor, Roberto Burle-Marx was closely associated with Joni Carter and the Kentucky Botanical Gardens...what a marvelous project if it had seen the light of day.

Aloha,

Leland Miyano

+More
From: tricia_frank at hotmail.com (Patricia Frank) on 2008.08.01 at 15:13:56(18308)
Would you share what Betsy suggested?
Tricia

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net (Betsy Feuerstein) on 2008.08.02 at 16:43:44(18310)
Tricia, this is what I said to Ed about regale.

"Having collected regale....... I can tell you it grows with a long neck. It has to because the leaves get so big. Fret not about pulling it under the soil because it will just do it again. It is the nature of the beast. Long neck, good roots and beautiful leaves. "

Regale grows in nature with a very long stem.. so to speak. It is terrestrial and the leaves are very large. To support those leaves, it has to have a long and strong upright rhizome. It is gorgeous to see in nature as a bunch of these sit a bit up from a stream bed or along the road.

Betsy

+More
From: egoldfluss at aol.com (egoldfluss at aol.com) on 2008.08.02 at 18:02:12(18313)
Betsy suggested doing nothing.? She said that in the wild they develop rather long necks to keep the large leaves off the ground.??

So I'm going to do nothing and see what happens.
Ed

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.