IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anchomanes difformis var.welwitschii
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E.Vincent Morano) on 2008.07.27 at 20:24:44(18267)
Does anyone know how to grow this? The seller's website I got it from says it is from from Tropical Africa. Its a nice size bulb but it had moss growing on it. That tells me that it was partially exposed. Some bulbs are supposed to grow this way but I dont know whith this one. The seller has ignored all my emails so they were probably just winging it and dont know either. There is only one person selling this on the internet. Do a search fot Anchomanes difformis var.welwitschii and you'll find them. But dont bother asking them anything, customer service seems nonexsistant.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

+More
From: hetter at xs4all.nl (Wilbert Hetterscheid) on 2008.07.28 at 07:36:47(18268)
Provided the identification is correct (!!??), it is a species (A.
difformis in all its forms and varieties) from the wet forests. So you can
put the rhizome in soil, keep it modertately moist and wait untill root
growth starts (if there are no roots on your specimen). Then intensify
watering a little untill the leaf emerges, then water freely.

Cheerio,
Wilbert

+More
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E.Vincent Morano) on 2008.07.29 at 01:07:09(18277)
Fascinating Wilbert, thank you! It has come to my attention that there are two different kinds. One with a long rhizome and one with a short and squat rhizome. Mine has the short and squat rhizome. Does this sound like hte correct name for the one I have?
Here is the picture provided on the sellers website. http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/naturalselectionsexotics/the-61/aroids%2C-amorphophallus%2C-tuber/Detail
Thank you,
Erin

+More
From: hetter at xs4all.nl (Wilbert Hetterscheid) on 2008.07.29 at 14:12:38(18281)
Hi Erin,

In Anch. difformis thinner longer and thicker shorter rhizomes are found
indeed but I do not know if they correlate exactly with morphological
variants.

In order to assess of you have the real var. welwitschii, pictures of the
naughty bits inside the spathe are necessary (should have a very short
style). It is a tad questionable of var. welwitschii is really not just the
other end of a continuous chain of variation or, the opposite, is a good
species in its own right. Not much known about Anchomanes variation in fact!

Cheerio,
Wilbert

+More
From: ironious2 at yahoo.com (E.Vincent Morano) on 2008.07.30 at 03:25:13(18289)
Okay good, that leads me to my next question which is what would be the best way to induce this tropical species to flower? Does it require a dormant period?
--- On Tue, 7/29/08, Wilbert Hetterscheid wrote:
+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.07.30 at 09:40:45(18293)
----------------------------------------
> From: hetter at xs4all.nl
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:12:38 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Anchomanes difformis var.welwitschii

Dear Wilbert and Erin,

This is not my group, but I have noticed over the years that there does seem to be two vars. of forms on this type of plant, one variety with rounder ''squat'' rhizome, and another variety or form (OR species??) with a creeping, longer rhizome. I don`t recall which variety demonstrates this feature, but one has small white spots under or surrounding each spine, one does not, and I believe they each bear blooms with spathes of different colors. The peduncles (stems on which the blooms ''stand'') are (if my memory serves me correctly!!) of different heights.
What Wilbert is saying is THE critical information needed, he needs to see a GOOD close-up photograph of the structures on the spadices of each variety/form!!

The Best,
And Good Growing!

Julius

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (Christopher Rogers) on 2008.07.31 at 15:55:02(18305)
Hiyer!

The main plant in the University of California, Davis collection has had a
depressed globose tuber for more than a decade, then last year it started a
growing the leaf from the side of the tuber. At this point it started making
a new, elongated tuber, and shrinking the old tuber.

For what it is worth.

Christopher

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.