IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Repotting Amorph. titanum
From: Cyndikrall at aol.com (Cyndikrall at aol.com) on 2008.08.08 at 02:23:22(18345)
Hello all,

My A. titanums are breaking out (ok, creeping) of dormancy, yay! Would it be
appropriate to repot them while they are growing? I didn't do it while they
were dormant, since I was certain they were going to die due to my ineptness.
:-D

Thanks,
cyndi

+More
From: bill.weaver at hp.com (Weaver, Bill) on 2008.08.08 at 07:40:11(18346)
Personally I avoid disturbing the corm until it starts to show growth for the same
reason. I'm afraid of damaging the 'skin' and letting pathogens get in. However,
I do vacuum the soil off the top of the corm so it won't have a overly wet well
in the soil where the leaf used to be. Plus, I can observe when new growth starts
and as soon as roots start to sprout, I cover it up again.

Bill

+More
From: Cyndikrall at aol.com (Cyndikrall at aol.com) on 2008.08.08 at 16:21:26(18348)
What about putting them into a larger pot? Can I do that while they are
actively growing?

Thanks again,
Cyndi

+More
From: atetzlaff at rogers.com (ALLAN TETZLAFF) on 2008.08.08 at 18:13:17(18350)
I guess I've been playing with fate...? first of all though, my comment on your repotting now - if they're growing I find this a pretty good time to move to a larger pot when you realize the one they're in is not big enough.? I like to wait until there is enough root mass to hold the lot together while you put it in a larger and deeper pot and then have it somewhere where it will be undisturbed while it grows more roots out into the new medium.
How I temp fate - When my titanums die down, I wait until the old stock is really shrivelled and comes away easily - then I unpot the whole thing.? I clean it up using my hands and smile at how much bigger it is, and then pot it up again in new mix.? I have 3 that I grew from seed - one being easily three times the size of the other two all the way along.? I don't leave the top uncovered but I plant in large containers and only water in a circle right at the pot edge until I see the stock emerge.? That way, there is moisture in the soil, but none going directly down into the hollow in the center.? Not sure if any of this helps, but I think I'm a bit rougher than is safe.....
Allan

+More
From: ronmchatton at aol.com (ronmchatton at aol.com) on 2008.08.08 at 22:32:05(18354)
If they are just beginning to break dormancy or have just barely broken
the surface, they can be successfully repotting if you are very careful
not to damage the roots and they can't be left out of the potting soil
for any length of time if there are roots forming.

Ron McHatton

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.