IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron cordatum
From: "criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2008.08.16 at 14:02:08(18386)

I have a Philodendron for so many years I can’tremember where I got it from. I have assumed it to be the same as the plantillustrated in Exotica under the name ‘Angra dos Reis”, a southBrazilian species. This plant is now thought to be identical to Philodendroncordatum.

‘Angra dos Reis’ means ‘King’sCove’ in Portuguese and is the name of a coastal town southwest of Rio de Janeiro.

HTML

+More

From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2008.08.16 at 22:48:57(18396)
John, I just closely checked every leaf on my specimen of Philodendron cordatum and those purple/brown (nearly red) spots can also be seen on the center vein of one leaf. My guess is they develop as the plant matures.

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Marcus Nadruz" <mnadruz at jbrj.gov.br> on 2008.08.17 at 18:26:49(18402)
Dear John,

This species is certainly P. cordatum. The name Angra dos Reis refers to the city that is in the southern coastal state of Rio de Janeiro, where the species is very common.

Best wishes,

Marcus

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.08.18 at 20:36:02(18408)
Dear Marcus,

Aloha...great to hear from you.

I am so glad that my identification was confirmed by you. There is no substitute for a Brazilian botanist to identify a Brazilian plant. When I traveled around with Roberto Burle-Marx, the status of many Philodendron were poorly known.

Please keep in touch with this forum I for one,appreciate your opinion.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2008.08.19 at 05:02:01(18409)

I second that Leland!

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.