IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Psuedodracontium , horizontal planting ?
From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2008.09.12 at 04:12:58(18500)
I just planted some very long P. fallax tubers , and was lucky to have an extra tall pot to put them in . But if they get any longer , what will I grow them in next year ?
Could I grow them just by laying them in a large pot instead of standing up ?
I thought this might intiate some dormant growth points along the length of the tuber somehow , and maybe give some offsets . There are some very nice glazed ceramic pots available that are nearly 1m high , though a bit expensive , they would be perfect for these .

Michael Pascall,

HTML

+More

From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.12 at 10:32:44(18503)
Dear Michael,

Aloha.

I remember planting the long tap-rooted, monotypic genus, Welwitschia mirabilis in recycled terracotta drain pipes. There are all sizes of these and you can rebar and concrete a base with drainage on one end. The bell joint makes for a finished lip of sorts. I do not know how long a Psuedodracontium tuber can get...but these drain pipes can be quite long depending on the diameter. Since the ones I had were used...they were free. They can be cut with a diamond blade in a circular saw and drilled with carbide bits. If you are really creative, you can cover the outside with terrazzo with an acrylic binder...but that is a long, hard process...and can be beautiful or terrible depending on one's talent. The terracotta by itself has a simple charm...but that is a subjective opinion.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2008.09.12 at 11:46:28(18504)
Hiyer!

That is not how they want to grow. I use lengths of 10 inch diameter PVC
pipe. The tubers need lots of oxygen and good drainage, or they will rot, so
I drill half inch holes all over the pipe and line it with old shade cloth.
I use old shade cloth for the bottom as well. So far, lots of good growth!

Cheers,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: ronmchatton at aol.com on 2008.09.12 at 12:31:39(18507)
Michael:

I grow all the long-cormed Amorphs in sections of PVC pipe cut to the
appropriate length. They sell flat caps that insert into the pipe (not
the permanent cap pieces that are white and fit over the end of the
pipe). I drill holes in the cap as well as the pipe very near the
bottom for drainage. To keep them from falling over, you can stand
several of them in other large pots.

It's been my experience that potting one of these horizontally doesn't
really accomplish anything. Once in a while a dormant bud does start
to grow but it's really rather random. The new corm that forms still
grows vertically and just pushes the entire plant out of the pot or
grows down through one of the drainage holes and tips the pot over.

Ron McHatton

+More
From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.12 at 15:09:37(18508)
Michael,

If you don't mind appearance, a section of concrete sewer pipe stood on end would give you a 3-5 foot tall pot. It is easy to unpot also - just tip it over at an angle and have at it with your garden hose. In England some parsnip enthusiasts (nuts) stack a bunch end-to-end, fill them with damp sand and then plant a parsnip seed on top. The goal is to grow a world record parsnip. The one they had on TV was over 19 feet long and was growing into the dirt at the bottom of the stack when they (very carefully) tipped the whole thing over and washed the sand out. Talk about dedication (or compulsive-obsessive disorder). If plain concrete is unappealing, try finger painting the outside with colored mortar!

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.09.12 at 19:51:05(18515)
At 08:09 AM 9/12/2008, you wrote:

Michael,

If you don't mind appearance, a section of concrete sewer pipe stood onend would give you a 3-5 foot tall pot. It is easy to unpot also -just tip it over at an angle and have at it with your garden hose. In England some parsnip enthusiasts (nuts) stack a bunch end-to-end, fillthem with damp sand and then plant a parsnip seed on top. The goalis to grow a world record parsnip.

have you ever seen a champion LEEK?

one of the most terrifying vegetables in the world.

herm

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.09.12 at 20:02:57(18516)
I remember planting the long tap-rooted, monotypic genus, Welwitschiamirabilis in recycled terracotta drain pipes.

Yes, I would have said this but you beat me to the punch. i have plantedvarious things for the purpose of propagation in large PVC sewerpipes, and various other drainage pipes. I can hardly pass a road construction site with massive pipes, six feet in diameter, withoutwanting to steal it and plant something in it. or use it for a spareroom. I am short, it could work!

tile drainage pipes are rather attractive.
Have you ever seen the size of the carrots grown in New Zealand, neartheir underground hot springs?

like vegetables from another solar system!

hermine

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.09.13 at 02:52:54(18525)
At 05:31 AM 9/12/2008, you wrote:

Michael:

I grow all the long-cormed Amorphs in sections of PVC pipe cut to the

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.13 at 15:06:55(18526)
No, I must have missed out on that one. My leeks only get about 3 feet tall. Do you have any pictures?

Sheldon

HTML

+More

From: ronmchatton at aol.com on 2008.09.13 at 17:27:35(18529)
I do that for orchids. The wire doesn't last long though because of
the acidity of the sphagnum moss. Plastic gutter cover works better.

Ron McHatton

+More
From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.09.13 at 23:22:00(18532)
At 08:06 AM 9/13/2008, you wrote:

No, I must have missed out onthat one. My leeks only get about 3 feet tall. Do you haveany pictures?

Sheldon

these are the size such that a three year old child can barely hold twoof them!

according to photo in National Geographic!

hermine

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.14 at 00:37:35(18533)
Here's a link to some giant vegetables, Sheldon.

http://new.alaskabountea.com/giant_vegetables.html

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.14 at 07:22:26(18536)
Thanks much! Now what did I do with my last batch of hollandaise sauce?

Sheldon

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.