IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aglaonema cochinchinense
From: Carol Bader <cb13 at cornell.edu> on 2008.09.12 at 15:16:15(18510)
Does anyone have a picture of Aglaonema cochinchinense?

Thanks,
Carol Bader

+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.12 at 17:50:24(18514)
Dear Carol,

Aloha.

I do not have any photos of Aglaonema cochinchinense...however, I'd like to know what your interest in Aglaonema in general is. I have a keen interest in the species, but, know very little about the genus, myself. I just obtained a copy of Dan Henry Nicolson, A Revision of the Genus Aglaonema (Araceae).

I have collected many Aglaonema in the Philippines...completely ignorant of the species. This was just after Corazon Aquino came to power following the assassination of her husband. Dr. Vic Santos was my host in Luzon. I also was sent many types of Aglaonema from Jack Craig in Java...again,ignorant of species, no data. I am trying to teach myself a little about Aglaonema...so many species and cultivars, so little time. Conrad Fleming may know more about these than I, as he sparked my renewed interest in Aglaonema species. Bob Hirano, Betty Ho, and Roberto Burle-Marx were with us collecting all manner of plants in the Philippines... Aglaonema was a minor interest at the time...but we brought back all that was offered...all unidentified, I'm afraid.

I see that Aglaonema cochinchinense is found in South Vietnam, etc. My niece is currently working in Vietnam and I can see if they have any photos of Aglaonema on limestone habitats...she knows nothing of the genus, but she loves nature in general and I can alert her to look for such things. She will be in Hawaii this month, so I can show her all the plants I am growing...just to see if she finds anything similar in the wild. However, soon she will transfer to Bangkok.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: agrsuw at ku.ac.th on 2008.09.13 at 02:44:35(18524)

Dear Carol,

Attached please find a photo of a selected clone of the species you wanted.
Thai breeders used it as a stud plant in our current breeding program.

Surawit WANNAKRAIROJ, Ph.D.

+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.13 at 16:11:44(18527)
Dear Dr. Wannakrairoj,

Aloha.

Is Aglaonema cochinchinense,as a pure species, available in Thailand? Is this selected clone much different from typical populations? Also,do you know the current status of the plants in habitat? Did you ever meet Masuo Moriwaki from Hawaii?

That is a beautiful plant and a great photo. Thank you for sending it.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
From: agrsuw at ku.ac.th on 2008.09.14 at 05:18:09(18535)
Aloha Leland,

The species is found on limestone mountains inThailand .
The typical one has solid green leaves. Thai breeder selected fpr white marking
on the leaf.

+More
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2008.09.14 at 18:33:48(18537)
Dear Surawit,

Aloha.

What a small world. Were you part of the East-West center student exchange? I designed the Friendship Circle Garden next to I.M.Pei's Building, Hale Manoa... If you studied at UH Manoa, I am sure we have many other mutual friends. I am very happy that you replied to the call for Aglaonema cochinchinense photos. Could you post other uncommon Aglaonema species photos? I am trying to educate myself on the genus...and photos are the best introduction. I have Nicholson's revision...but drawings and small black and white images are difficult to interpret.

Thank you for any assistance you can supply.

Aloha and mahalo,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.