IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

ID needed - The Curse of Auto-Focus
From: ted.held at us.henkel.com on 2008.09.12 at 17:17:45(18513)

The blurry picture of the bloom is theresult of that idiotic feature of "modern" cameras called "Auto-Focus".Notice how the far background comes in nice and sharp? In the old days(don't I sound like a real fogy?) the photographer made a simple adjustmentso whatever she or he wanted to be in focus WAS in focus. Now that littleartistic and scientific task is presumed by some computer chip that don'tknow nuthin. It is especially bad when it comes to close-ups. InCyndi's picture the overwhelmingly dominant feature she wanted to depictis completely ignored by Auto-Focus in favor of 2% of the frame that eventhe most amateur of picture-takers would know was not where the focus wasintended. You'd think the camera would at least focus on whatever is inthe center, target area of the screen. But no, it looks around for somethingit fancies and that's what you get, like it or not. This is not Cyndi'sfault. She is the victim.

My digital does this too, and as faras I can figure it can't be switched off. I guess I'll have to spring fora more expensive camera in order to NOT get that feature built in. Sheesh.

A little good-natured rant to end theweek. Now back to plants.

Ted.

HTML

+More

From: Cyndikrall at aol.com on 2008.09.12 at 22:17:59(18521)
Feel free to pick on me Ted, you are not the first! LOL. I know the pic was horrid, but by the time I realized it, the inflo was gone. I got a new camera for Mothers Day, and I'm still trying to get used to it, with mixed results, obviously, lol. My old camera was 10 years old and had none of the new features I have now. Ugh!

A victim! YES, I am a victim of technology!!! ;-)

Cyndi

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2008.09.12 at 22:20:56(18522)
At 10:17 AM 9/12/2008, ted.held@us.henkel.comwrote:

The blurrypicture of the bloom is the result of that idiotic feature of"modern" cameras called "Auto-Focus". Notice how thefar background comes in nice and sharp? In the old days (don't I soundlike a real fogy?) the photographer made a simple adjustment so whatevershe or he wanted to be in focus WAS in focus. Now that little artisticand scientific task is presumed by some computer chip that don't knownuthin. It is especially bad when it comes to close-ups.

So you are an ancient geezer also who speaks in terms of REAL CAMERAS? iused to be a photographer for one of my day jobs, a term I assume isfamiliar to musicians and artists and I was GOOD. gimme a digital cameraand i am a MORON.

i am astounded however at the quality of the amateur photos in thisplace, they out do the photos I saw in books taken by real cameras upuntil about 12 years ago.

hermine

HTML

+More

From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2008.09.12 at 23:36:17(18523)

I have found that many cameras will exhibit this behavior if the object in the foreground is too close for it to

physically focus on and is simply ignored in favor of something it can focus on. This being said, I have seen and

purchased several digital cameras with a 'macro' setting that reverses this problem and focuses quite nicely on

the itty bitty thing in the foreground.

To check if your digital camera has such a capability, look for a 'focus' setting or button and set it to 'macro'

or 'close-up' or the setting that displays the little flower icon.

Hope this helps.

Bill

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.