IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Anthurium whitelockii
From: "JaredR McKinley" <jaredr.mckinley at gmail.com> on 2008.12.31 at 00:42:16(18823)
Has anyone grown Anthurium whitelockii. I got the plant from Rancho Soledad in CA. It seems like it might have rhizomatous growth that would produce pups. I found at the base of the plant a few of these rhizomes snaking up and back down in the box (it's in a 24 inch box). Obviously it is a bird's nest variety.

--
((Expecto Patronum))

Jared R. McKinley

HTML

+More

From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2008.12.31 at 04:33:43(18824)
Never heard of it . When was it described ?

Michael Pascall,

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:42:16 -0700

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2008.12.31 at 05:10:55(18826)
Hi Jared. I just did a search for"Anthurium whitelockii" on TROPICOS, the Kew's International PlantNames Index, The Kew Monocot Checklist and the Kew Checklist of Plantfamilies. None lists the plant as a species. Can you provide photosas someone might recognize the actual species?

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.01.03 at 03:18:08(18840)
Steve:

What I once called Anthuriumwhitelockii turned out to be another new species which is now published, namelyA. faustomirandae M. Perez Farrara & Croat

Thus A.whitelockii is no more, just what we call an herbarium name.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.01.03 at 03:20:23(18841)
Dear Michael:

I just answered this questionto Steve Lucas. I hope that he will backtrack and tell Jared the story.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.01.03 at 04:38:02(18842)
Dear Jared:

Just in case my earliermessage does not get back to you, this A. whitelockii (a name I proposed butdid not publish) is the same as Anthurium faustomirandae Pérez-Farrarra &Croat.

Tom

HTML

+More

From: "JaredR McKinley" <jaredr.mckinley at gmail.com> on 2009.01.03 at 05:20:30(18843)
Thanks for the taxon correction. I will change my label to A. faustomirandae.

--
((Expecto Patronum))

Jared R. McKinley

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.01.03 at 05:30:23(18845)
Thanks again Tom. And Jared, youcan see photos and brief description of Anthurium faustomirandaehere:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium%20faustomirandae%20pc.html

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall at hotmail.com> on 2009.01.03 at 06:13:41(18846)
If it is a 'Birds Nest 'type , it is not the sp. that Tom has mentioned ..
Please Jared post a few pictures .. I have a sp. with a very glossy spatulate leaf that gets suckers ,
maybe it is the same plant . Never been able to put a name on it , and not seen a flower on it as yet .
I better get some pics will the rains have eased .

Michael Pascall, 

" I found at the base of the plant a few of these rhizomes snaking up and back down in the box (it's in a 24 inch box). Obviously it is a bird's nest variety. "

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.01.03 at 15:35:06(18847)
Jared, I just went back and reread your original post. I'm not sureyou actually have the plant Dr. Croat originally considered calling"Anthurium whitelockii" since the species which was published as Anthuriumfaustomirandae is not a bird's nest form. Section Pachyneuriumspecies (birds nest) grow in a rosulette fashion with the petioles in aform similar to the form of the petals of a rose. Anthuriumfaustomirandae grows a very thick coriaceous cordate (heart shaped)leaf and Dr. Croat does not list this species in his journal of Anthuriumwithin section Pachyneurium. Photos of the plant including the blade,petiole and stem will help to determine the species but if you have aphoto of the inflorescence that will make the ID even more positive.

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.01.03 at 16:23:18(18848)
Jared, I just looked up RanchoSoledad's website and it appears they sell more hybridized plants or atleast plants using a pseudo-name than species. They didn't showanything called "Anthurium whitelockii" but it isn't uncommon fornurseries to create a pseudo identification for plants hich they don'thave a verified name. At least one of the plants on their site appearsto be an unusual variant form of a commonly available Anthuriumspecies but sold using a created name.

There is a plant grown all over South Florida which everyone knows as"Philodendron wilsonii". That species is truly Philodendronsubincisum Schott but very few people down there know the realspecies name. How the name Philodendron wilsonii is known since one ofthe original sellers was Bob Wilson. He apparently used his own nameas a joke but it has stuck for many years. The name you were given maybe only a nursery trade name.

As for your seedlings, Anthurium seedlings often emerge with acordate blade (heart shaped) that is upside down and only once theybegin to mature do they change to the shape we are used to seeing. Iwould check beneath the soil and see if these seedlings are sproutingfrom the stem or free growing since new growth from a stem node is notuncommon. If free growing it is of course possible you had seeds fromthis or another species in the soil.

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.