IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Wikipedia
From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001 at gmail.com> on 2009.01.27 at 16:42:01(18994)
Julius and Steve, and others interested in Truth and Honesty,

Let me tell you a story about Wikipedia.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a book in my "weirdness" section called "You and Your Palm", by a guy named "Cheiro" (pronounced like the two Greek letters Chi and Rho). It turns out he was a late 1920s and early 30s sort of palm reader to the stars. The book contains palm prints and diagnoses of a number of famous movie stars of the day. I don't know how you feel about palm reading and these related skills, but I am not a fan except in the sense of mockery and derision.

Well, I looked up the good doctor on Wikipedia and found a very flattering account of his life. Among the testimonials to his greatness as a seer was what was purported to be an excerpt from a guest book he kept. The entry was from Mark Twain and indicated how pleased Twain was with the results of his sessions with the master.

As it happens I know some things about Mark Twain. Among them is that Mark Twain was a huge skeptic. In fact, there is a whole section in his autobiography (Chapter 13) in which he discusses some controlled experiments he had done with both palm readers and phrenologists of his day. Interestingly, they all concluded that one thing his personality lacked was a sense of humor (!). These were done by Mark Twain (and his agent) without revealing his identity. Curiously, when he presented himself to a couple of the same jokers as his real self, they managed to conjure up that he had a strong sense of humor. So much for the veracity of the occult sciences.

Anyway, I thought I'd add an item to Wikipedia relating to this and suggested that the views quoted there might be compared with Mark Twain's own testimony with its not-so-veiled skepticism about same. I was diplomatic. I merely pointed readers to something that might shed more light on the subject.

This morning I checked the Wikipedia site and, sure enough, my comment had been deleted and the entry about Mark Twain's endorsement of Cheiro's abilities remained unaltered. In the past two weeks I suppose some partisan of palmistry had reversed my efforts.

I was immediately doubtful when I first learned of Wikipedia. I have stronger doubts about it now, after my experience. Better, I think, is to rely on peer-reviewed matter, such as Aroideana, for one's information about scientific topics. For non-scientific topics we are at the mercy of our own judgment, I suppose.

Ted.

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2009.01.31 at 20:16:51(19010)
At 08:42 AM 1/27/2009, you wrote:

Julius and Steve, and othersinterested in Truth and Honesty,

Let me tell you a story about Wikipedia.

Let me tell you a wiki story. for the second time i went there to look upan obscure subject, and for the second time it had a familiar ring, andfor the second time it was because I HAD WRITTEN IT. now i do not gosomeplace for info in order to read the palaver I had questioningly putforth. look for real kosher footnotes on anything you read in wicki. i amnot the only sufferin bastid who found his or her own word staring backat him and or her on wicki! but it is FUNNY@

hermine certified wiki expert

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.03.20 at 20:23:22(19196)
I have been asked by the editors ofWikipedia to help edit some of the material on their sites relating toaroids. As some of you will recall several of us including Juliusrecently had some discussion on Aroid l about the "less than accurate"information that shows up on that site as a result of input bycollectors who have done little to no research on their subjectmatter. There are currently three species which I am trying to gatherinformation regarding and little appears to exist in the texts Ipossess. If you know anything about these species please let me knowanything and everything possible:

Philodendron auritum Lindl.

Philodendron consanguineum Schott

Philodendron marginatum Urb.

Specificially, I've been asked to help edit this site:

http://www.wikigardens.com/

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.03.24 at 01:47:08(19203)
Steve:

Philodendron auritum Lindl. Is in myopinion P. anisotomum Schott although there is no specimen to confirmthis. I have put the species in to “Species excluded” in myCentral American revision. Phil. consanguineum Schott is a distinctspecies from the West Indies, a vine, sort of likeP. hederaceum (Jacq.) Schott. There are good descriptions of it, Ithink. Phil. marginatum Urb. Is a synonym of P. consanguineum.

Tom

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.