IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

A. pedatoradium from Chiapas
From: "Windy Aubrey" <exotics at hawaii.rr.com> on 2009.01.31 at 23:29:17(19015)

Steve,

This is the species A. pedatoradium from Chiapas.

Although it does look similar, it's definitely different.

Windy

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.02.01 at 15:57:29(19018)

Another interesting Anthurium! Ohwhere will I ever get enough room to grow all these?

Thanks! Steve

Windy Aubrey wrote:

HTML

+More

From: "Abrimaal" <abrimaal at wp.pl> on 2009.02.01 at 19:04:36(19021)

Here is an adult specimen of A. pedatoradiatum:

http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/anthurium/pedrad.htm

Windy, if you don't disagree, I'll add your photo to that page.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "Windy Aubrey" <exotics at hawaii.rr.com> on 2009.02.01 at 21:37:56(19025)

Hi Marek,

You are more than welcome to use my photo.

Windy

HTML

+More

From: "derek burch" <dburch23 at bellsouth.net> on 2009.02.02 at 01:18:42(19026)
Marek,

Re your page of A. pedatoradiatum – when I collectedmine in Veracruz it was perched on top of a largerock with roots extending over the surface, and in full sun. I have alwaysgrown the offspring in full sun, too (in South Florida). So Iwould question the need for shade that is given

Derek

HTML

+More

From: "Windy Aubrey" <exotics at hawaii.rr.com> on 2009.02.02 at 07:14:18(19027)

Steve,

Although at times it seems that room to grow 'everything' seems impossible, never give up!

Even though I am lucky to live in an environment conducive to grow just about anything 'tropical' without a greenhouse, I continue to grow my plants on benches and contained in a hard roof greenhouse.

I do hang a lot of plants, but the majority of everything I grow is up on benches.

To fill my space as full as possible I have even employed tiered benches, and that allows for even more.

Remember....If there is a will, there is a way! ;>)

Windy

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.02 at 23:41:08(19029)
Hello Derek,

Photos of this plant were previously posted in the ID Center.

When it was identified, I knew nothing about this species,

so I copied the description which I got together with these photos.

I've just added a photo taken by Windy:

http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/anthurium/pedrad.htm#2

and I see a difference - the first specimen growing in shade has broader leaf lobes.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.02.03 at 03:52:05(19031)
Windy, do I know that and I surewish I had your weather!

We are now considering selling our 120 year old colonial home with theatrium attached and move all the rare and wild collected specimens plusstarts of most everything from NW Arkansas to Little Rock. As some ofyou know my eventual goal is to donate the entire collection to theLittle Rock Zoo to be displayed in a new rain forest exhibit they arehoping to build. Almost all the plants in the ground will stay as wellas the hanging log since I'm afraid I would destroy it by trying totake it down.

My goal is to build a building twice this size so I can add even more"logs" as well as many rare and large aroid species. Due to Dr.Croat's work my concentration is now on Ecuadorian species and I need alot more room for plants to climb as well as places to hang all theplants from the ceiling as they grow. As you can see we use a lot of12 inch square orchid baskets to grow our large Anthurium species sothey at least appear to be in their natural epiphytic form. We alreadyhave specimens hanging over the walkways with 6 foot spans, especiallyon the opposite side of the pond and waterfall which isn't shown!

I'm hoping showing these photos does not violate my trust with Dereksince they were taken for an Aroideana article in the next issue. Asyou can see we've used up just about all the room. You'll at leastget to see a bit of color here on one photo including our largeepiphytic log which is now beginning to produce blooming orchids aswell as many bromeliad species with an inflorescence! The center posthas large species growing as high as 18 feet already! And by the way,if you want to buy a "rain forest" this one may soon be for sale, atleast a lot of it!

If you want to see more my article telling of all the mistakes we madewhile building our "rain forest" plus a lot more good reading will bein the next issue. If you're not already a member you need to go tothe International Aroid Society right now and join on the IAS website. That way you'll receive the next issue of Aroideana plus a lot more! http://www.aroid.org/

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.02.03 at 16:46:17(19034)
Greetings, Derek et al.!

The parent of my specimens were collected growing epiphytically in shade.
When I have mine in full sun it burns quickly. In partial sun it makes small
leaves and no blooms. In bright indirect light it blooms and makes the
large, palmate leaves that you see in the picture on Marek’s website.

Different ecotypes???

Grins,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Windy Aubrey" <exotics at hawaii.rr.com> on 2009.02.04 at 00:24:57(19042)
Hi Marek,

I received several stem (trunk) cutting of the Anthurium pedatoradium from Chiapas, Mexico about 4 or 5 months ago.

These cutting, as they leaf out, have some differences in their leaf shape even though they all have been growing under the same conditions and lighting.

About a year ago I received some A. polydactylum from Vera Cruz, Mexico, and they also showed a lot of variety in their leaf shapes as they grew out.

My guess is both of these species must be somewhat variable in their appearance.

Windy

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.04 at 21:23:16(19051)
Hi Windy,

Well, it may be similarly to A. scandens or Philodendron hederaceum natural varieties.

I also noticed the difference in the leaf shape.

Do you have a photo of your plant's inflorescence?

Marek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.