IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroids in the Movies
From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001 at gmail.com> on 2009.02.09 at 19:41:31(19064)
Dear Friends of Horticulture,

Yesterday my wife and I were watching an old Sherlock Holmes movie titled "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", dating from 1939 (Basil Rathbone). In it the arch-villain, Moriarty (played by George Zucco), turned out to be a big plant aficionado. Although a ruthless criminal, he is devoted to his plants. His manservant has committed the crime of failing to water his plant, obviously an aroid. Moriarty then says that this plant is the extremely choice Anthurium magenta. I was skeptical about the species name, but the Anthurium half came across clear and bold. (Maybe the magenta part is a cultivar description.) Then Moriarty wistfully clips off the bloom (correct, for Anthurium) and places between the pages of a book he is using to try to steal the British crown jewels.

Every once in a while cultivated plants come up when watching a movie. Many times it's an orchid. On the current "Lost" program there are always aroids drifting in and out in the background but these are there purely for decorative purposes. This is the first time I recall seeing an aroid followed by an educated name attached.

Has anyone seen other aroids mentioned in film? It would be nice if a plant person who was not a sociopath were involved.

Ted Held

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.02.10 at 13:07:38(19073)
What was that "plant" in "The Little Shop of Horrors"?

To my mind it was some type of aroid.

Alison Robinson

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.02.10 at 13:30:31(19074)
Hello,

See more aroid in art in my page:

http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/art/art.htm

Have fun,

Marek

HTML

+More

From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at wdtinc.com> on 2009.02.10 at 15:05:16(19075)
Ted-

It’s funny that you bring up Aroids in movies. I wasamused when I saw “Madagascar2” recently and noticed some animated Monstera deliciosa plants in thejungle scene. To be clear, they were not animated, as in dancing around andsinging songs. But the whole movie is animated and I thought it was prettyspecial that the artists took the time to draw Monsteras. They are pretty easyto pick out (for people that spend all their time looking at plant life) if youwatch the movie. When I nudged my wife and pointed it out she took a littlelonger to realize, being distracted by the characters and main action of themovie.

Could this be the first Aroid in an animated movie?

Zach DuFran

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.02.11 at 10:22:29(19082)
Dear Ted,

Most interesting!  Was the Anthurium bloom a ''typical'' A. andreanum bloom (Hawaiian "special") or perhaps a wax mock-up?  
I too tend to take note of plants used as back-drops in movies, and am amazed at the Sabal palms in Viet Nam, and all the cultivated palm species, vining Monstera and Philodendron, Alocasias and other genera of aroids, etc. which seem so very common, even feral on all these many film sets! :--)

The Best,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2009.02.12 at 17:17:43(19086)
the WRONG aroids are in that Bo Derek Tarzan movie, as are the wronganimals.

spotting Sansevierias is my hobby.
i notice that in films in black and white of the middle thirties toforties, one sees big monstera upholstery and drapery fabric, if thatcounts.

HTML

+More

From: hermine <hermine at endangeredspecies.com> on 2009.02.12 at 17:24:22(19087)
I too tend to take note of plants used as back-drops in movies, and amamazed at the Sabal palms in Viet Nam, and all the cultivated palmspecies, vining Monstera and Philodendron, Alocasias and other genera ofaroids, etc. which seem so very common, even feral on all these many filmsets! :--)

many of the big movie lots maintain something which looks like aHome Depot plant selection and use it to flesh out a "habitat"without asking anyone if these plants really COULD be there, which causesgreat rage among the plant nuts, i gotta tell you, we are collectively ahot blooded group.

There is a nice pot of Sansevierias on a kitchen table in RAGINGBULL.

i hope you are allowing for the wonderful California influenced fabricswith the HUGE Monsteras and big inflorescences of aroids all over theplace. it made its way to Brooklyn, WE HAD THIS on our sofas. nothinglike split leaf Monstera draperies to give a home that periodlook.

hermine

HTML

+More

From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2009.02.12 at 21:07:22(19090)
Hi Alison,

After I read your question, I broke out a copy of 'Little Shop of Horrors' and Seymour says it (Audrey Jr.) is a cross between a Butterwort and a Venus Flytrap. But there do appear to be a few Aroids in the "shop". Diffenbachia, (looks like a couple of types of) Philodendron, Monstera deliciosa & flowering Anthurium plants.

Take Care,

Sherry

HTML

+More

From: Stanley kaufman <kaufmanrareplants at yahoo.com> on 2009.02.12 at 23:35:07(19093)
How about the Amorphophallus konjac in "Suddenly Last Summer" in Violet's conservatory?

--- On Tue, 2/10/09, STARSELL@aol.com wrote:

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2009.02.13 at 01:27:02(19095)
It looked like what a government committee might design for a "Super Carnivorous Plant". It was like a giant tropical pitcher plant on steroids (illegally I assume).

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: Skip Hanson <shanson at emc.com> on 2009.02.13 at 21:37:20(19097)
Check out "The Incredibles". Another animated movie that contains a bunch of plants that look like Monstera, Philos and ever a few Colocasia.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Zach DuFran
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:05 AM
To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.02.13 at 23:16:36(19098)
LOL! Sheldon,

That is a really good description of that thing!

And whatever it was on HAD to have been illegal.

Thank heaven I was an adult when I saw that or it would

have been more disturbing than it was

There were some really beautiful aroids on LOST last

week on the location shots of "Jin".

Alison

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.02.13 at 23:20:27(19099)
Sherry,

It's been a long time since I have seen it.

I just had to bring that up for fun.

HTML

+More

From: STARSELL at aol.com on 2009.02.13 at 23:28:30(19100)
WoW,

You are so right!

Of course there were those weird screaming plants

in Harry Potter that they /called/ mandrakes.

I think those were aroids in disguise. I wonder if anyone

who watched those movies realized that in the end of at

least one, when the train leaves, the 'trees' in the forest are

juvenile ornamental cabbages?

HTML

+More

From: myers1a at comcast.net on 2009.02.14 at 01:10:12(19102)
Skip Hanson wrote:

Check out "The Incredibles".Another animated movie that contains a bunch of plants that look likeMonstera, Philos and ever a few Colocasia.

From:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] OnBehalf Of Zach DuFran
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 7:05 AM
To: aroid-l@www.gizmoworks.com
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroids in the Movies

Ted-

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.02.14 at 12:04:59(19104)
Dear Guys,

No one mentioned the plant in the movie ''Dennis the Menace"", it belonged to Dennis` crotcherty old neighbor, and EVERYONE was waiting on for its bloom to open? 
If the concept of that was not based on an aroid/Amorphophallus, then I`m a monkey`s uncle.

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.02.15 at 01:29:47(19107)
I have the complete first season of Gilligan's Island, and I
just can't get over that their "uncharted island" is
vegetated with so many cultivated ornamental flowers.

Jason Hernandez

+More
From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.02.15 at 01:50:01(19108)
The "triffids" were vaguely aroid-like.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.