IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Philodendron 'Xanadu' leaf mutations
From: Zach DuFran <zdufran at wdtinc.com> on 2009.02.09 at 22:41:29(19066)
I have been growing a Philodendron ‘Xanadu’ forabout 6 months. A couple of weeks ago I noticed two odd features (mutations?)that I had never seen before.

The first is that two stems have “fused”together – all the way from the base of the stem to the leaf, includingthe first lobe of the leaf on one side.

The other possible mutation is a small extra leaf(?) risingfrom the midrib near the base of one leaf. It reminds me of the smallleaf that grows in the middle of the cladode of Ruscus hypoglossum. (Seethis blog post with pictures: http://itinerantgardener.blogspot.com/2009/01/tricksters.html)

You can see my pictures of both mutations here:

http://myfolia.com/journals/39643-weird-leaf-mutations

The thumbnail images are links to the full size images onFlickr. There is one image of the small, extra “leaf” and fourimages of the fused leaves.

Has anyone encountered these 2 growth habits before? Arethey normal or do I have a special plant? J

Thanks-

Zach DuFran

HTML

+More

From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.02.10 at 22:50:33(19080)
Dear Zach,

What you have observed are deformations, all commonly observed on this species of Philodendron.   You will also see ''double blooms'' on one peduncle, ''double spadices'' within a single deformed spathe, etc.
In time (years!) the plant MAY ''grow out'' of these chemicals and become a nice looking plant.
I believe these deformations are caused by the method that this plant is produced by the millions in tissue culture, or by chemicals the young plants are treated with to cause dwarfing and/or many plants growing and clumping together.
See my articles on P. xanadu in both Aroideana # 25 (where it is described as a new species By Dr. Croat, Dr. Mayo and myself) and my follow-up article in Aroideana # 31 where I touch on the ''whys'' of what chemical treatments MAY be doing to this interesting species, and picture plants which over years have grown out of the chemicals.

Good Growing,

Julius Boos

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.