IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Amorphophallus titanum+ organic methods
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.03.09 at 16:42:35(19174)
Dear Jared,

Aloha.

Others on this forum can advise you on Amorphophallus.

I utilize organic growing methods although all the new nursery stock I buy has been grown in a conventional way. I am a firm believer in vermiculture and my composting worms produce great castings and compost tea. I also have large compost piles and I have used a product called E-M or effective microorganisms. It is still a mystery to me exactly how it works, but it has shown promise in my garden. I use it only sporadically at any rate. Other than that, I do not use heroic methods to grow my plants. I do not have a big pest problem and I only spot treat things with an organic orange solvent if I need to. Julius told me to use well rotted cow manure on my plants and I can attest to the effectiveness of dung. I have also used horse manure with good results. I only spot fertilize as well. I like to grow my plants slow and tough...they can resist pests in a better fashion.

In potted plants, I use coconut chunks with great results. However, the shredded coir product has not performed well...it decomposes too quickly in my humidity and plants can suffer.

Can you elaborate on the fungal based techniques you use?

By the way...your Anthurium looks most like Anthurium andicola from Veracruz, Mexico.

Aloha,

Leland

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.