IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Best way to root Alocasia odora?
From: Ken Mosher <ken at spatulacity.com> on 2009.04.01 at 04:48:14(19213)
I ordered some Alocasia odora recently and they didn't arrive as tubers
(I think they're tuberous?) but as cuttings of some kind. What is the
best way to root them?

For now I've wrapped the bottom 3" or so in damp sphagnum moss and
enclosed that in a plastic bag. Is there a better way? Would a certain
temp speed up the process?

Please see the attached photo, which I've shrunk in deference to those
who protest large attachments.

Thanks,
Ken Mosher

+More
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.04.02 at 12:51:36(19216)
Ken, just plant it in loose soil andwatch it grow! I was given one small plant in 1996 and we now have todig them up and throw them away every summer! We probably gave 10 bigplants away last summer and threw away that many more. They grow likeweeds if kept humid and somewhat damp. I've had them lay over on theground and grow 2 meters sideways with new plants coming up along theway. It is a very lovely plant but be prepared. It will spread andgrow!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.04.02 at 15:25:48(19217)
Howdy, Ken!

I have done this with Alocasia gageana and macrorrhiza. Pot in a smallish pot with sphagnum/ peat/ perlite and put the pot in water up to just above the side drain holes. Keep the plant above the water line. When roots start coming out of the bottom of the pot you are set. At this point I usually pot in peat/ sand/ pumice in a pot twice as large (at least) as the first pot and again put the pot in a basin of water to the drain holes for at least a month before removing the water all together. These species often grow close to water, sometimes right in shallow areas, but like Zantedeschia, they need less water the older and more established they become.

Good luck,

Christopher

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.04.02 at 17:38:24(19218)
Alocasia odora is a rhizomatous plant, not tuberous.
I would plant it horizontally. It should produce roots in a few places and
put leaves from the nodes.
Next year you can cut the rhizome and you will have a few plants.

Marek

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.