IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroid l participation
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.04.28 at 05:15:58(19291)
I had a really nice visit from anaroider and his wife who live near Oklahoma City this weekend and feltI needed to pass this along as a result of how much Aroid l has meantto me personally since I began participating in approximately 1994 or1995. There are many notable aroiders names that are among the mostknowledgeable people in the world of aroids that I rarely seecontributing to Aroid l any longer. Guys and gals, if no one elsedoes, I MISS YOU! You are important to Aroid l and those who are newto aroids will love hearing from you.

I must tell all of you that Dr. Croat is currently in Colombia which iswhy we are not reading his valuable responses at the present time andwon't be until mid-May. Aroid botanist Pete Boyce in Malaysia isalways great at adding his valuable input as well but there areincredibly bright aroiders (including a bunch of PhD's and former IASofficers) from Australia to Hawaii to California, over to Michigan, andfrom the northeastern United States down through the tip of Floridathat don't contribute and share their "brains" as often as they oncedid. I won't call you by name (yet) but there are many people Iespecially miss hearing from in California and all over the UnitedStates (Michigan and South Florida) as well as In the South Pacific,the Indo-Pacific, Europe and Brazil and other South American countriesso I urge all of you to begin sharing your knowledge once again withthe many new aroiders now on Aroid l that are hungry for your knowledgejust as I was (and am) hungry to read what you have to say. All of youhave traded many emails with me so please begin adding your "two cents"to Aroid l again! We all need to know what you already know!

My dear friend Julius Boos (one of the most brilliant aroiders I know)used to make this his responsibility at least once each year but whileI'm at it, I'd like to encourage all of our new Aroid l users toconsider jointing the international Aroid Society right now. It isjust a few months until the next issue of Aroideana, the annualjournal of the IAS, will be published. You won't get a copy unless youjoin! Membership is "cheap" by comparison to what you will receive inthe IAS literature that you'll receive in the mail or via email! Youcan easily join inexpensively by visiting the IAS site here: http://www.aroid.org/ Once you join you'll also receive a "key" thatwill allow you to explore the information on the IAS website that isnot available to the public simply doing an internet search.

One other important thing you'll want to consider is being a part ofthe International Aroid Show and Sale which takes place at FairchildTropical Gardens in Miami on September 19th &20, 2009. If you love to collect rare aroid specimens you will notfind more available anywhere other than the IAS show! I've personallymanaged to bring home several species that are not yet identified toscience! Besides, the visit to Fairchild is worth the trip all byitself!

So to those of you that are not participating as you once did, pleaserejoin us on a regular! Aroid l is the way we all share information souse it! And to those of you that haven't joined the IAS, right now isthe time to join! I've met more great friends through the IAS than Ican count! Joining, and planning a trip to Miami in September, willmake your aroid collecting even more interesting! Please join orrejoin us!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.