IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

An Amorphophallus gigas blooms in California
From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.05.20 at 06:18:40(19332)

We've been discussing this with our west coast aroid group and I realized t hat I forgot
to send it to the larger group.

I've got an Amorphophallus gigas starting to bloom and I was wondering if a nyone
else has had any experience with this and can give me some sort of idea wha t to
expect time line wise. (The attached photos will give some idea how far it has
developed)

Thank You

Bill Weaver

+More
From: garbird at bellsouth.net on 2009.05.21 at 00:24:33(19340)
Hi Bill, Please keep posting photos. I had to get rid of my A. gigas. It was just to big for my place. It is wonderful to see yours doing so well. I wish I could help you with the timeline, but mine did'nt get that far along. If you can also please post your description of the smell. I know that sounds weird, but I was always fascinated by how the different species can smell so different.

Thanks, Garland

-------------- Original message from "Weaver, Bill" : --------------

HTML

+More

From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.05.21 at 21:13:49(19349)
Hi Bill,

Can you save some pollen in an envelope and keep dry and refrigerate? Some of us would like to try to make Amorphophallus hybrids.

Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood Beach, NJ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bill, Please keep posting photos. I had to get rid of my  A.

gigas. It was just to big for my place. It is wonderful to see yours doing so well. I wish I could help you with the timeline, but mine did'nt get that far along. If you can also please post your description of the smell. I know that sounds weird, but I was always fascinated by how the different species can smell so different.
Thanks, Garland

HTML

+More

From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.05.22 at 08:04:05(19350)

I turned the plant around and got some different views. I am still unsure i f is
fully open or if it still has some ways to go.

Bill Weaver

+More
From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.05.23 at 05:41:46(19351)

The Am. gigas is getting larger and darker. Still not sure how long it has left.

I have also included another amorphophallus that was simply labeled Amorpho phallus sp "Nova"
I have no idea what it is. I'd appreciate any help with the ID.

Thank You

Bill Weaver

+More
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.05.23 at 10:08:30(19354)
The unknown is either A. erythrorrhachis, or the new species from Kalabenono
/ Nosy Ankarea. I am in the process of describing it. The shape of the
appendix when mature is a decisive character.

Cheers,
Wilbert

+More
From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.05.23 at 10:10:00(19355)
(Don't let Wilbert hear you say that) I am hoping to harvest the pollen. The tricky part is

telling when it is ready. It hasn't started to smell yet so I'm not sure it is mature yet.

From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of bonaventure@optonline.net
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:14 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] An Amorphophallus gigas blooms in California

Hi Bill,

Can you save some pollen in an envelope and keep dry and refrigerate? Some of us would like to try to make Amorphophallus hybrids.

Bonaventure Magrys

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.05.23 at 16:14:05(19356)
O.k., so if anyone of you messes up my reconstruction of Amorphophallus
evolution by releasing hybrids into space, I am going to come down on him as
the Great Amorphorevenger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your life ain't gonna be worth a
2ber after that.

+More
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.05.23 at 20:49:58(19359)
Hello Wilbert,

May it be A. erythrorrhachis?
http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/unid/amosusan1.htm

Marek

+More
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.05.24 at 07:07:51(19360)
Well, that WAS one of my two suggestions!

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com
> [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] Namens Marek Argent

+More
From: "Weaver, Bill" <bill.weaver at hp.com> on 2009.05.24 at 08:48:37(19361)
Excellent. I'll see if I can get more descriptive photos as it develops.

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Wilbert Hetterscheid
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:09 AM
To: 'Discussion of aroids'
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] An Amorphophallus gigas blooms in California

The unknown is either A. erythrorrhachis, or the new species from Kalabenono / Nosy Ankarea. I am in the process of describing it. The shape of the appendix when mature is a decisive character.

Cheers,
Wilbert

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com
> [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] Namens Weaver, Bill
> Verzonden: zaterdag 23 mei 2009 7:42
> Aan: Weaver, Bill; 'Discussion of aroids'
> Onderwerp: Re: [Aroid-l] An Amorphophallus gigas blooms in California
>
> The Am. gigas is getting larger and darker. Still not sure how long it
> has left.
>
> I have also included another amorphophallus that was simply labeled
> Amorphophallus sp "Nova"
> I have no idea what it is. I'd appreciate any help with the ID.
>
> Thank You
>
> Bill Weaver

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.05.24 at 10:58:47(19362)
Hi Bill.

From what I read and seen of bisexual aroid inflorescences, firt the female flowers at the bottom portion of the spadix are receptive for a day or several days. Then pollinated or not, they "shut down". Whether the smell remains afterwards or not I'm not sure, but then the male flowers, consisting of anthers only, near the middle of the spadix ripen. Smaller inflorescences on weaker plants may be all male only.

At this point you don't have to pluck or tweeze or disect off ect. Just as the spathe starts to fade, in the cup at its very bottom, loose pollen will collect. You can cut some of the spathe away to be able to brush it out into an envelope, or tip the plant onto its side and tap it out through the slit in the spathe if possible.

If you have anothe amorph' just starting its bloom (in female phase) you can tap some in along the spadix into the center. I produced a couple of hybrid Arisaemas this way. It would be great if you could get some titanum pollen just about now! I have right now only a paeoniifolius blooming that started its stench Thursday and albus(?) in the garden in bud. Pictures of both coming soon. I'll put the paen on the albus just for the hell of it, it has no pollen donor anyway. Offspring may be hardy here (central NJ) just like albus.

I have konjacs in the yard to bloom soon, but larger and more monstrous than that to shock my neighbors could be a possible giga-konjac????

Thanks,

Bonaventure

HTML

+More

From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.05.24 at 11:06:17(19363)
Gee its fun to tick off Wilbert. You sound like one of the 18th century orchidists "Surely you will drive the botanists mad".

Wilbert, these will be only plants in cultivation. I can think of a few aroid genera extensively hybridized for manipulation of blooms appearence and cultivation feasability. Anthurium, Zantedeschia and Spathiphyllum come to mind. Am I forgeting others?

Bo

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.05.24 at 15:42:34(19364)
Aglaonema, Alocasia, Homalomena, Philodendron, Caladium, Syngonium, Dieffenbachia have been also many times hybridized. Ok, x-breed Amorphophallus species, but NEVER let them grow in the wild.

Marek

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.05.24 at 16:28:02(19365)
I am not easily ticked off, I am just being a friendly old man. Hey, I have
several hybrid Amorphs in our own collection.....but I ain't gonna spread
them. They'll die serving science. After their purpose they'll meet with the
Great Humificator!

+More
From: George Yao <geoyao at gmail.com> on 2009.05.24 at 17:01:53(19366)
Philodendron!

On 05/24/09, at 7:06 PM, bonaventure@optonline.net wrote:

> Gee its fun to tick off Wilbert. You sound like one of the 18th
> century orchidists "Surely you will drive the botanists mad".
>
> Wilbert, these will be only plants in cultivation. I can think of a
> few aroid genera extensively hybridized for manipulation of blooms
> appearence and cultivation feasability. Anthurium, Zantedeschia and
> Spathiphyllum come to mind. Am I forgeting others?
>
> Bo

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2009.05.26 at 22:21:30(19370)
Great Humifactor!?? No!!!

I hope you get a bloom of a hybrid titanum on gigas-length stem, and it topples over on you.   :-)

Bo

PS what aroid genera are grown specifically for blooms (and foliage sometimes, eg Amorphophallus, Anthurium, Arisaema) but not foliage alone?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am not easily ticked off, I am just being a friendly old man. Hey, I have
several hybrid Amorphs in our own collection.....but I ain't gonna spread
them. They'll die serving science. After their purpose they'll meet with the
Great Humificator!

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2009.05.28 at 19:29:06(19373)
Congratulations on both.
Love the shirt, Bill!

--- On Sat, 5/23/09, Weaver, Bill wrote:

HTML

+More

From: thegreenman <thegreenman.us at gmail.com> on 2009.05.31 at 22:33:16(19385)
I'm johnny X- amorphoseed and I am spreading hybrid amorphs all acros the tropics. wheee~!

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Marek Argent wrote:

HTML

+More

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2009.06.01 at 20:22:54(19390)
Moderators!!!! Time to do your thing!!!!!

Wilbert

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.