IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

NEW Caladium species
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.06.05 at 11:11:09(19403)
Dear All,

Now that Wilbert Hetterschied (A.K.A. "The Master") has spoken, I will throw a LITTLE into the ring, as it were, until all of us can read the description of this wonderful new Caladium species.  Caladium clavatum Hetter., Bogner & Boos which USED to be called in error "Caladium bicolor "rubicundum''.
Phil, your report confirms what I had been told, that the species can occur in fairly large groups/populations (probably spread throughout at least Amazonia from area to area by man) which show variability as to size and color, and in their attractiveness to collectors.  
The type specimen came from a collection made in E. Ecuador, and was chosen by the collector, I was told, because it was ''prettier'' than its ''neighbors''.  The species is known to vary greatly in size.
A few ''hints'' on what makes this species VERY different to the better known C. bicolor (and this is only ONE difference!!)--Phil and Elizabeth, try to obtain an inflorscence of this species, and take a look at the spadix, compare it to a ''regular'' C. bicolor or any other Caladium sp., the sterile male ''flowers (between the female flowers at the very bottom of the spadix and the male at the top) are nail-like in form and  VERY different to any other species of Caladium. 
NOW--all of you ''lurkers'' out there, join the IAS so that you will receive the issue of Aroideana in which the description will be published, it is due out later this year!

Good Growing!!

Julius Boos

> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:50:23 -0700
> From: pbunch@cox.net

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.