IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

strange behavior of Dracunculus vulgaris
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.07.12 at 19:53:19(19505)

Hello,

I have 2 tubers of this plant bough from different sellers and...

They wake up in november/october, bloom in jan/feb and shortly after they go dormant. I tried to store them in a frigde during winter (they're not hardy in my area). Now they lie in a bathroom and nothing can make them to grow in the summer. What to do? More in the page:

http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/dracunculus/mydvulg.htm

Marek

HTML

+More

From: Sheldon Hatheway <sfhatheway at yahoo.com> on 2009.07.13 at 16:32:20(19511)
Hi, Marek,

What zone are you? I am in zone 7B and have had mine in the ground for over 25 years. Our coldest winters during that time were 2 degrees Farenheit, but usually it is only in the twenties some of the time and thirties most of the time. It gets colder than that in their native lands. Mine are planted about 6" deep in well-drained soil.

Sheldon Hatheway

HTML

+More

From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.07.14 at 15:28:58(19518)
Hi,

I live in zone 6, usually the winters here are about 20F (-5C), but once a few years it's colder. Last winter the night temperatures were below -3F (-20C), I lost Arisaema nepenthoides in my garden, but other species A. amurense, A. flavum, candidissimum, jacquemontii, Pinellia ternata, P. pedatisecta, Arum italicum and Arum cylindraceum survived.

Marek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.